Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 25, 2006, 2:08 PM   #1

Anybody have any recommendations for a digital storage device for traveling that is compact enough not to be a burden; allows verification that the photos have transferred successfully; and work with an xD card (or can be used with a CF card adapter like the xD-Picture Card/CompactFlash Adapter - MACF-10)? Oh, and something that won't break the bank and be too expensive?

Thank you for your time.
S
ShavaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2006, 3:56 PM   #2

I'm waiting for a Photo Bank from ebay. Not to expensive and will accept any capacity 2.5 inch Laptop hard drive . A card reader is built in so you just download from your card when its full straight to the photo bank. :-)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Colour-Display...QQcmdZViewItem

Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 7:39 AM   #3

See this thread for another option:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=52
Wolverine@MSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 6:06 PM   #4

Looks like a good deal :-). I also noticed that they have the Digimate 3 with the colour screen that I'm waiting for , at $47.......and also the older Digimate 2, strangely re-badged as a 'Dooin' for only $39 !!
Old Jul 27, 2006, 7:41 AM   #5

Only problem is the Digimate III doesn't read xD-picture cards.
Wolverine@MSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 9:37 AM   #6

Your right. Usbgeek don't list the Digimate 3 as compatible with XD Card format, but strangely, the other dealers on ebay do :?.........One things for sure, only one of them will be right.
The Digimate should be here in a few days so I'll find out pretty soon if it taks XD's.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 6:12 PM   #7

Well the Digimate arrived and no it does not accept xd Cards. However if you must use xd it should accept them in a CF Adapter.
Thankfully this is no big deal to me as my S9500 uses CF as well as xd, so I'm covered.
I must add the fact that the pics on ebay etc do not do the Digimate justice ! This really is one classy looking piece of kit.
Rather than cream and black coloured plastic as it appears in the pics, the unit is in fact brushed aluminium with a slightly raised and highly polished Digimate logo.
A black rubberised trim runs around the edge. Also, thankfully, the garish colours on the front must be a display sticker as my unit came without one.The large colour screen is superb, displaying all the info you need , such as remaining Hard Drive space, file transfer progress etc. With a half decent leather case thrown in this is an absolute bargain. Highly recommended.:-)
Old Aug 10, 2006, 6:00 AM   #8

STOP PRESS ! :-)

I just discovered the Digimate DOES take XD Cards.

According to the 'manual' the XD cards can be used in the right hand card slot though there is no 'XD' mark on the unit itself to verify this.

I have tried an Olympus 512mb XD card in this slot and file transfers from XD card to Digimate, from Digimate to PC and from XD card to PC all work just fine and dandy. :-)
Old Aug 10, 2006, 6:12 AM   #9

If you do not have an mp3 player, you may be able to kill two birds with one stone. The Cowon X5 and A2 both have the ability to become a usb host and copy all your files to their hard drives, it works very well and is compatible with most of the devices, it's recognised simply as a usb mass storage device by all pcs so you won't need any fancy software you can simply drag and drop, the battery lasts almost two days on the X5L. All you need is your camera, a usb cable and your Cowon. This system has worked very well for me and has given me 30gbs to work with whenever I go on holiday. Please note that it won't take cards directly.
marksandspencers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2006, 9:09 AM   #10

Thanks for all of the feedback, folks.

I ordered the Dooin and had it sent to a geek friend of mine to put in the harddrive. The message I got when it arrived was classic: "Interesting. The whole thing is in chinese, but the device is in english. No instruction manual. No tech docs. Some pictograms. This is getting to be a neat adventure..." There was a mini-disc with the English docs on it but he decided to muddle about on his own and it took him less than an hour to figure it out and install the 40gig drive me and to write up an English version of how to make it work.

It's great. It works with both the xD and CF cards that the S9000 uses. Compact, came with a case and all the cords needed, and I ordered the extra battery pack as well since I'd rather be prepared and for $5 I figured it was worth it. I'm going to play with it on a couple of short trips before the big trip this coming February to the Amazon.

Thanks again for the feedback and suggestions!!!

S
ShavaSue is offline   Reply With Quote