Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 26, 2006, 3:35 PM   #1

Hi, I just joined the forum. Please excuse my ignorance... I only got into photography a few months ago. I bought a fuji 9500 as I was serious about photography and wanted a camera that was a bit beyond me so I could learn as I went along... I'm now thinking this was a bit foolish.

I've found it very difficult to understand and learn how to use the camera. I want to thank people who have been active on this forum... as some of the topics have really helped me. I also realise that reading the manual may help! but i have a lot of cognitive problems and am having difficulty with it.

Anyway my issue right now is depth of field. In theory I know how to do this but when trying to do it in practice i jst cannot make it work. I'm pretty sure it can be done, as ive seen some photos in this form which said they were taken on this type of camera. Again, please excuse my ignorance... I have been told that the appature settings affect the depth of field... so I put my camera intoA mode as thats the one that allows me to change the speed... but i have a feeling this may not be correct. Also, it will never allow me to go below 3.1... which i'm thinking may make a difference.

I'm thinking that either I'm using the wrong settings or have got the wrong idea altogether. Any advice anyone can give on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: the title should say depth of field, i got confused :?

doomed_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2006, 5:15 PM   #2

Although it is possible to get a reasonable (sometimes) control of depth of field with the 9000/9500, the camera is not as versatile as a digital SLR. The sensor is smaller, and the real focal length is such that there is a considerable depth of field. You will probably find that you can get greater control using the macro mode. But it simply requires a lot of experimentation for you to develop a shooting style that gives you the effect you are looking for. If you want a lot more control over your depth of field, you will probably have more success with a digital SLR. As far as your widest f-stop is concerned, that is controlled by the lens to a certain degree. You will not be able to achieve f/2.8 at extreme telephoto. I am not enough, technician to explain the reason. But it basically has to do with the design of the lens and its relationship to the aperture and some kind of a ratio. I know, that really sounds vague. Hopefully somebody who understands it better will be able to explain it to you.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 6:54 PM   #3

angel,

You are correct that aperture settings affect the depth of field (DOF)...the higher the number, the greater the DOF. You are incorrect in saying that the 'A' mode allows you to change the speed. The 'A' mode is an automatic mode which allows you to vary the aperture settings. On your camera, you do this by using the Command Dial. You should be able to set an aperture of F2.8 at wide angle and F4.9 in telephoto in this mode.

As an example, here is a pic taken at F4...notice the battery closer to the camera is in focus, and the one further away is not...

the Hun

Attached Images

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 6:55 PM   #4

angel,

...and in this one, taken at F8, they are both in focus (or pretty close).

the Hun

Attached Images

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote