Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 27, 2006, 8:57 PM   #1

Can someone explain what the difference in having my S5200 on 5MF or 5MN is? I know on the N setting you get twice as many photos on a card but does setting it on 5MF give me a better photo? I put all my photos into Elements and work on them and usually print in 4 x 6 for making cards. I have never printed anything bigger but might one day. Thank you anybody. I am slowly learning.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Shari
Shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2006, 2:06 AM   #2

My 1st thought is that Fine must have a lot more digital data associated with it. It just seems to me that the more data there is, the better the output. I suppose this depends upon many factors, such as, speed of system, capability of ouput device(s), storeage space available, cost/time benefit ratio ....

My conclusion, from lots of discussions I read on the Fuji Talk Forum, dpreview.com, is that the N setting usually works just Fine :?.... It strikes me that data never recorded, is kinda like data lost .... the final product will suffer ... but, I never have noticed that which might give rise to the suffering in this case.

Good luck, and ....

Happy Shooting

Mike C.
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 4:44 AM   #3

Shari,

If you only view your pics on-screen, and never print larger than 4x6, I doubt if you will be able to notice a difference between the F & N settings. If you do blow up a print or do some serious cropping, you will. I always use the highest setting - just in case.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 11:08 AM   #4

The differences in size is affected by the amount of JPEG compression the camera applies to the files. For on-screen viewing the normal settings should be just fine. But if you're going to make large prints you will probably want to use the fine setting because they will be far fewer JPEG artifacts in the images. The reason those artifacts are difficult to see on-screen is because monitor resolution is much lower than print resolution.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 4:12 PM   #5

Thank you all. I guess if I know I am going out for the day ie shooting alpine flowers like I recently did I would change it toF because I just might blow some of those up. I was told always to leave it on the highest pixel setting which I do on both this camera and my pocket Fuji. Thanks again.

Shari
Shari is offline   Reply With Quote