Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 28, 2006, 5:41 PM   #1

Hi I was reading that a Kodak Schneider-Kreuznach Xenar 55mm 0.7x wide angle converter lens will fit on my S5200. I didn't know I could get any additional lens for this model. I checked the internet and cannot find anything in stock in Canada. Could someone please tell me if I can use this lens on my S5200 and if it would be a good purchase for a relatively new digital camera user. And if so, point me in the right direction to purchase one in Canada. Thank you very much.

Shari
Shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2006, 5:52 PM   #2

I don't know about that particular lens, but there are several add-on lenses available for your camera. They attach to the front of your lens in a similar fashion to the way a filter attaches. There are some of these lenses that are telephoto, some that are wide-angle, and some that are designed to enhance macro photography. It takes practice to develop the skills to use these attachments effectively. I suppose it will have to be your decision as to whether or not you want to move into this kind of photography at this point.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 10:00 PM   #3

Hi Shari: try this -

http://www.camera-warehouse.ca/product.asp?pr=1033323

(Company in Alberta, don't have to pay PST! They also sell the 1.4X tele converter)
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 12:36 AM   #4

Thank you both. I have a birthday coming up!! I did check the website. I don't know why I did not get notified of your answers by e-mail. I would like to ask another question. I know several people with DSLR cameras. It seems pretty scary when they change a lense to protect from getting dust on the lense and they say the camera should be sent out to be cleaned every so often. One reason I got the Fuji is I wanted something simple and easy to use. With getting these lenses would I be getting into a lot of extra hassel? Yes, I do want to improve my photography skills. And - if you had a choice would you go for the telephoto or wide angle - I suppose it depends on what one is taking. I love taking flowers and nature so probably telephoto would be best to start - talking to myself - but open to any comments please. And thanks again for the site.

Shari
Old Jul 30, 2006, 2:46 PM   #5

The main challenge with DSLR cameras is that, when changing lenses, the CCD is vulnerable to attracting dust because the lens has actually been removed from the camera. That is not the case with your camera. The main lens is permanently attached. These add-on lenses are attached to the front of that main camera lens. So they are easy to clean separately.

Personally, I haven't been motivated to purchase any of these add-on lenses. So far I had been able to do everything I want to do with the camera's main lens.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 3:53 PM   #6

Thank you. It would be the tele-photo because I sometimes find the 10x does not do the job I want. I will do a bit more reading. I would really like to talk to someone that uses these added lens though.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 4:16 PM   #7

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=16
Old Jul 30, 2006, 7:49 PM   #8

... And here are some examples and a little discussion from another forum.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=19397533
Old Jul 30, 2006, 7:59 PM   #9

Thanks very much jphess. This all helps. I think I am going to look aroundVancouver and see if there are some photography classes I can take. I actually think most my photos are OK but I can see there is a lot to learn about the camera. I have been mostly using auto!!! Shows where I am at. Thanks again.

Shari
Just checked the site. Looks like I was joining while you were replying to me - as I say all the info I can get helps.