Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 1, 2006, 8:49 AM   #1

HEllo,

I'm new to steve's digi cams. I joined in the hope that I can get the best quality photos from my camera. I have found that when I upload my photos on to my pc, the quality at higher magnifacation varies... when I put the xd card in the pc the resolution seems poor at 200 or 300%. When I use the USB with my camera the resolution is much better. I'm in Korea, and I am planning on travelling for two months. I have used a photo storage device and the quality is the same as when I use my xd card in the PC. My camera has more effectivepixels that my girlfriends (a nikon point and shoot) yet her pjotos are much better quality that mine unless i plug in my camera. I don't wish to carry 3 or 4 1 gb cards with me while I backpack through Thailand and Cambodia. Any suggestions or similar problems?

Last edited on Tue Aug 1st, 2006 05:21 pm by bricks
bricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2006, 10:55 AM   #2

Generally speaking, there is little benefit to viewing your images at 200 percent or 300 percent. In most cases, viewing at 50 percent will give you an indication as to how your image will print.

As far as the quality of your images after the transfer is concerned, there must be something else in the process that you are not telling us about. If you are doing things properly, transferring images either directly from the camera or via a card reader should make no difference in the quality because it should simply be a copying process.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 8:06 PM   #3

I think I've got the problem figured... sort of... I appears that what ever I do with my photos I have to use fine pix viewer. Is this a fact? When I used the portable storage I moved the files to fine pix and found that I lost image quality, but when I opened them in fine pix and copied them to my PC using Fine Pics they were fine.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The quality is definatley affected without using fine pix. I was downloading through picture projectand sending the photos to my mother, who has been doing digital photography for along time, and she couldn't get clear images if the photos were printed at 8 x 10. When I started using fine pix viewer there was no problem.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 10:48 PM   #4

I don't know anything about these portable storage devices. I have read about them, but I have never used one. So I don't know what software is required to copy files from the card to these devices. The Fuji Fimepix Viewer software is nothing more than a program to help you manage your images, and to provide you with some very basic printing options. That software isn't required for anything related to your images. You should be able to use standard computer copying routines to copy your images. And I would recommend that you purchase some sort of image editing software to work with your images after they have been downloaded. There is no software that comes with the camera that is required. It is all optional fluff that someone might use to entertain themselves, but it is entirely unnecessary. I have not loaded any of it to my computer. I suggest you study the manual that came with your portable storage device and see if you can learn how to use it properly.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 11:50 PM   #5

YEah... I bought the damn thing in china... cheap, effective and lacking in a decent english translation. It seems strange to me that I have to use the upload traqnsfer from fine pix viewer... I was uploading through picture project (photo suite will be purchased later... when I get back to Canada) and the quality just wasn't the same. I've found if it open the files in picture project, then copy them from there it's okay quality. My manual is practically in tatters (for my cam) from looking through it over this issue. I can edit the photos in picture project and maintain the quality as long as the images are downloaded throughthe fine pix program. It's really weird. Thanks for your replies.

B