Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 7, 2006, 6:46 PM   #1

Hi all, and what a great forum, i have a fugi finepix 9500, and i also have a Cobra 700AF which i used with my old Pentax SFX, is it of any use, or can i use it with my Fugi 9500, if so what would i need to make it work.{ The Cobra has the Pentax adaptor fitted on the bottom of the flash}
Many thanks.
summer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2006, 12:01 AM   #2

I have a different brand of flash for my camera, but it has a Pentax dedicated module. The settings on the flash indicate that in one position the flash will function as a standard automatic flash. It works fine with my S9000. Your flash will probably work just fine. All you have to do is go into the menu system and activate external flash. You will have to use the guide on the flash to help you determine the appropriate aperture. There are instructions in the manual on how to use external flash.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 9:41 AM   #3

Many thank's jphess, for your quick reply, yes it would be great if it works, its just that i seen somewhere { maybe it was on this forum} that if you do not use the right external flash it might damage the camera. Thank's for your help again.
summer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 10:53 AM   #4

That only thing I am aware of that you have to be careful about is that the trigger voltage cannot exceed 400 mv. When I wrote to Fuji, they answered that just about any flash will work, although any TTL (through the lens) flash exposure technology will not work. So the flash has to have a standard "auto" setting, or else you would have to just use the manual mode.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 9:19 PM   #5
Baz

Hi jphess,

I recall we have spoken of trigger voltages previously.

The maximum trigger voltage of the S9000 is 400 volts, rather than millivolts. But you knew that?

Baz
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 9:42 PM   #6

Yup. My error.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 6:17 AM   #7

Will the Vivitar 285 work with my Fuji s9500, I know that there are two versions of the flash one with a higher trigger voltage. Flashes aren't exactly my field of expertise. Are there any other flashes you could recommend with a fast sync?
marksandspencers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2006, 10:39 AM   #8

What do you mean when you say, "fast sync"? Typically, the duration of the burst is less than 1/10,000 of a second on any automatic flash. The manual says that if you try to use shutter speeds faster than 1/1000 of a second your pictures may be dark. The Vivitar 283 and 285 are both models that people have reported work fine. Some have mentioned the Sunpak 383. As I mentioned earlier, Fuji replied that it is possible to use just about any automatic flash, although some camera specific models will not work.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 11:47 AM   #9

Code:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_synchronization
that should explain what flash sync is
marksandspencers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 9:24 AM   #10

marksandspencers wrote:
Quote:
Code:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_synchronization
that should explain what flash sync is

The question was not what flash sync is, the question in reference to your earlier post is what is fast sync (per your post).

Clyde
Clyde Atkinson is offline   Reply With Quote