Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 10, 2006, 4:47 AM   #1

First and foremost I'd like to say hello to everyone here at Steve's Digicams, I haven't lurked long but it seems like it's a nice community. I recently bought a fujifilm s9500 which I'm liking alot, it does everything other than low light perfectly and is my main camera. I also have a Pentax ME Super which has been neglected alot, but I might start to use it a bit more. Every photography related niknak I have is lugged around in a brilliant Lowepro Mini Trekker, which I could fully recommend to anyone.

Being 15 many of you have probably been taking photos longer than I've been alive, so your experiences will probably be much appreciated. My subjects are varied, I take photos of whatever takes my fancy! I'm not organised at all.

I first found photography through skateboarding. Please do not go with your preconceptions on skateboarding, it is NOT a sport for grungy teenagers who go round wearing black and listening to heavy metal, it is instead a very creative sport. Many figures in the creative industries started off in skateboarding for instance Spike Jonze (music video director) or Jason Lee (an actor plays Earl in My Name is Earl, Syndrome in the Incredibles and Brian Shelby in Vanilla Sky).

As well as photography I have been into videography for a while which has been quite fun especially the post production side (except for compression which seems a tad simpler in photography especially for the web (compressing .mov files is not fun and do not get me started on .wmv)

Thanks for taking the time to read this far far far too long post.

Regards,
DK
marksandspencers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2006, 6:57 AM   #2

Nearly same as me, Im 14 and bought a s9500, may i ask you what setting you use because im not getting much out of my s9500.

Thanks!
Gurbakash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2006, 7:24 AM   #3

What settings I use very much depend on what I'm shooting and what the conditions are like, I have it on manual mode the whole time, that way you can adjust everything.
marksandspencers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2006, 9:29 AM   #4

I have had my 9000 for several months now and really enjoy it. I like low ISO (80-100), aperture preferred auto, and for my outdoor pictures I usually uses a -1/3 to -2/3 EV exposure compensation. I usually set the aperture to about 5.6 for most of my outdoor photography.

The 9000/9500 is a very capable camera. But you need to experiment with a lot of different settings and try a lot of different ideas to discover what is going to work best for you. Don't just rely on what you see on your monitor. Print some larger (8x10 or larger) prints and you will discover the real merits of this camera.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 9:47 AM   #5

Hi!
I just (about two days ago) my own S9000 and am very excited. I'm also a little apprehensive considering all the problems I had read people were having. But, frankly, alot of it sounds like user issues, and the camera had all the features I was looking for. I haven't had the chance to take any pictures yet, but I hope take some tonight.
It seems like the perfect digital camera for me (since I can't afford a DSLR yet) since I learned to take photos on an old Pentax K1000 film. Completely manual has always been my prefered way of snapping pictures. :-)
I'm also impressed to see several youngsters who are getting into more serious photography. Kudos for you guys! It's a great hobby.

Just a quick question for you guys who've had the camera for a while: I've been hearing a lot of moaning about having to do post processing. Have you found this to be the case? I really don't mind since I almost always process my digital images anyway. I do that kind of thing sometimes at my job when a client needs a photo retouched and printed larger.
madartiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 11:04 AM   #6

Personally, I think just about any photograph can be improved with a little postprocessing. When I'm doing a specific project that has significance for someone, I will always batch process them with an action I have created in Photoshop. It mostly uses some of the Photoshop features to sharpen the image just a little bit. But this isn't unique to the Fuji S9000. I have been experimenting a little bit lately with my son-in-law's Nikon D70. He has what he calls some "professional" lenses. And even those images, as good as they are, seem to benefit from just a little sharpening. On the other hand, I have taken many pictures and have gone straight from the camera to Sam's Club to be printed. Snapshots and just fun pictures look good to me straight from the camera. But when I get some images that have special meaning to me or to someone else I will always take a little extra time with them. Using the batch process helps minimize the time I have to spend on each image individually.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 12:31 PM   #7

Thanks, jphess. I had heard people complaining about having to do post processing with the camera and had wondered if it was really all that big of a deal. Sounds like it isn't. Good to know. Hearing satisfied owners speak up makes me feel much better after all the "horror" stories I've read on different forums.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 8:01 AM   #8

So far so good. I took a few quick shots last night at our company picnic and they don't look half bad. The auto mode seemed adaquate despite the complaints I have heard, and I mucked about with the manual mode a bit. My focus was off for the manual focus, but that was certainly my fault (not to mention some camera shake since I was in a hurry). A little clean up on the pictures and they turned out well enough that I'm not terribly embarrassed. Relatively little noise even at 400 ISO (Hurrah!). I think I'll be very happy with this camera once I learn all the bells and whistles.

Photo of a building on Auto with minimal PP.
Attached Images