Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 22, 2006, 5:14 PM   #11

No no sorry, I gave the completely wrong impression, please accept my apologies. I really was grateful for what you had to say.
phat2003uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 5:28 PM   #12

OK, sorry I misread your response. I have a very inexpensive Panasonic digital video camera. In my opinion the quality of the video is much better than anything I can expect from my S9000. So I don't look to my Fuji for "serious" video. I like taking still images a lot more than I do video. But once in a while there is that moment that needs to be captured in video. Those moments are the ones that I will turn to my Fuji because I just don't like carrying the video camera with me. But if the project requires video, then I won't even think about which camera I will use. The video camera always comes out for those projects.

I honestly cannot see the problems with the video from your 9500. It could be that you have a higher quality monitor than I do. If you have another xD card that is not a type "M", just a standard card, try shooting some video on it. In some of the reading I have done I recall that these newer cards actually write at a slower speed, and that COULD be the problem you are experiencing.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 4:55 AM   #13

Thanks again. I had a go with a 256MB card but had the same results. I think I'll take your advice and look around fora proper video camera!
Old Aug 23, 2006, 6:46 AM   #14

To me both the Stevenage and Bedford videos seem a little jerky when viewed on my monitor - I wouldn't like to say which had come from which camera if I didn't know. Is there perhaps a problem with the 30 fps beating with the refresh rate of the monitor? (The slideshow software I use recommends 25 fps for British video.)

The Stevenage video in particular would benefit from the use of a tripod or monopod to keep the camera steady - this is not meant to be offensive, my own hand-held videos with the S9500 can induce a feeling of sea-sickness!
programmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 6:50 AM   #15

I think it's when I put them through Windows Movie Maker it makes them look a bit jerky as it reduces the 30FPS to 25FPS.

Thanks
Old Aug 23, 2006, 7:48 AM   #16

I hadn't realised that you had changed the frame rate but that fits with what I was seeing.

So far I have only taken a few short sequences of video to see what it was like and watched these at 30 fps on my PC. I had wondered what the effects of the frame rate change would be if I tried to put video from the S9500 onto DVD, now I know - it would probably be alright if nothing moves very fast, in which case I might as well take stills! Its a pity Fuji don't provide the option of 25 fps in the camera - it probably wouldn't be a big change in the software.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 6:06 PM   #17

Just a thought but have you tried recording clips at 60fps and then converting these to 25fps with Windows Movie Maker to see if the results are less jerky?
Old Aug 25, 2006, 11:46 PM   #18

My thought is that when you compress it there is no way to avoid the jiggering ... I watched some of my video captures I did with the S9500 and they appear not to jigger because it's the original, no compression. They are very good quality.
belgian pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 4:58 AM   #19

programmer wrote:
Quote:
Just a thought but have you tried recording clips at 60fps and then converting these to 25fps with Windows Movie Maker to see if the results are less jerky?
Unfortunately I can't record in 60FPS, 30FPS is the highest possible.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 4:59 AM   #20

belgian pie wrote:
Quote:
My thought is that when you compress it there is no way to avoid the jiggering ... I watched some of my video captures I did with the S9500 and they appear not to jigger because it's the original, no compression. They are very good quality.
I agree with you. The juddering isn't really an issue as that is only when I use Windows Movie Maker.