Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 24, 2006, 3:41 AM   #1

I see that the S9100/S9600 has been announced and that it offers a number of 'minor' improvements over the S9000/S9500. I wonder if we'll see a firmware upgrade for the S9000/S9500 to give us at least some of the new features? It's very rare for Fuji to issue firmware upgrades but you never know....
Monkeybloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2006, 6:30 AM   #2

I was wondering the same mate.

What extra features does the 9100 have? To me it just look's like the same camera but with a firmware upgrade!

I also wonder if the wide angle lens available for the S6000 will also fit and work ok on the S9500?

mansell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 7:16 AM   #3

I just looked at the specs on the Fuji website. Here are the differences I can see:

Improvement file compression. On the 9000, it is impossible to save a single RAW file on a 16 MB card. On the 9100, it is possible to save 13 RAW images on a 16 MB card. The JPEG format has similar improvements.

The Fuji hyper-utility software for processing RAW images is included with the camera. Previously it had to be purchased, $100.

Fuji is offering a wide-angle auxiliary lens. On the 9000 Fuji did not recommend using auxiliary lenses.

jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 7:54 AM   #4

jphess wrote:
Quote:
Improvement file compression. On the 9000, it is impossible to save a single RAW file on a 16 MB card. On the 9100, it is possible to save 13 RAW images on a 16 MB card. The JPEG format has similar improvements.
How can they possibly get thirteen 9 Mpixel images on a 16 Mbyte card? Only way I can see is if the scenes were uniformly colored and they used some kind of JPEG-like compression algorithm.
Wolverine@MSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 8:01 AM   #5

I'm obviously not looking at the same place on fujifilm.com as you jphess but the comparision chart for the cameras and the performance chart for the S9600 only shows JPEG as a file format - CCD RAW which appears on the others isn't shown as an option for the S9600.

Given the nature of a RAW file compressing it from 18MB to 1.2MB (if 13 are to fit a 16MB card) is an enormous compression ratio - I would be surprised if this was possible without the data loss that RAW is supposed to avoid. As I understand it RAW data is simply the levels from all of the pixels not processed in any way by the camera - it would be possible to compress such files (using WinZip or similar) but they would then need to be uncompressed before RAW processing software could read them - even then you would only get a compression ratio of 18:1.2 if the image contained almost no detail at all.

Further improvements in JPEG compression would, as far as I am concerned, result in larger files - that is to say a less agressive compression - thats just my opinion anyway.
programmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 8:53 AM   #6

The 9100 / 9600 is probably just a 9000 / 9500 minus some glitches and an improved firmware.

looks a bit of a rip off to me, on the face of it.

Old Aug 24, 2006, 10:51 AM   #7

Below is a link to the web page containing the specs for the S9100. The sixth item in the list tells how many files of the different formats will fit on a 16 MB card. I agree that this looks like very aggressive file compression. And I'm wondering if it will have any impact on image quality. I suppose only time will tell.

The size of the RAW images has been my main complaint about the S9000. I thought 18 MB was just a little unreasonable when a Nikon RAW file from a 6 MP DSLR use only about 5 MB. But I hope Fuji hasn't gone too far in the other direction now.

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/JSP/fuji/...ltype=dataspec
Old Aug 24, 2006, 11:04 AM   #8

mansell wrote: I don't know that it's a rip off. But I don't think it's a camera to "move up to" if you already have a 9000/9500. The lens appears to be the same, as do the features of the camera. Like someone mentioned previously, it seems that the Fuji could provide a firmware upgrade that would give the 9000/9500 the same file compression features. The Hyper-utility software program has been available for purchase at $100, and it's included with the new camera. To my knowledge, it has only been offered with the S3 previously. So, if the camera is priced right, it would be a good upgrade for someone with a smaller camera. But personally, there is nothing to motivate me to upgrade. I have enough cards now to handle any shooting situation I encounter.
Quote:
The 9100 / 9600 is probably just a 9000 / 9500 minus some glitches and an improved firmware.

looks a bit of a rip off to me, on the face of it.

Old Aug 24, 2006, 4:44 PM   #9

maybe a bit harsh saying it's a rip off, but to me it looks more or less the same camera (ok with a two inch lcd).

I agree that for somebody who doesn't have a 9500 it could be a good investment, however if it's going to retail for £500 like the 9500 did when it first came out then a DSLR would be a better bet, I only paid £320 for my 9500 and I wouldn't have paid any more.

it's now £305 in the uk, that'sa bargain.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 4:58 PM   #10

So the secret is, unless you are one of these people who absolutely has to have the latest, wait for a few months because it will save you a significant amount of money.

I don't think Fuji is trying to get current users of the 9000/9500 to move up to this camera. It seems to me that they are making minor changes and evaluating their impact on the sale to new users. Then, eventually, I think they will probably come out with a whole new series that pushes the envelope a little further. Disclaimer!! That is only my opinion.