Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 24, 2006, 4:28 PM   #1

I was searching for the S5200 and found this site BuyDig.com and was wondering is this site good to purcahse from and is if this deal sounds resaonable.
Fuji Finepix S5200 5MP Digital Camera w/ 10X Opt. Zoom
Price $236.99
Special Professional Accessory Kit For Fuji S3000 /S3100 /S5100/S5200
Price $229.99 The kit includes:High-Speed H1GB xD Memory Card.Stores up to 500 images on a 8-megapixel Olympus in HQ mode.Capture more. Wait less. That?s the philosophy behind the new Type H xD-Picture Card, with which you?ll enjoy taking more pictures in less time thanks to the media?s improved write speed,MA-USB10 xD USB 2.0 Card Reader / Writer,Rapid AC/DC Charger with four AA 2500mAh NiMH Batteries
4 AA High-Power 2500mAh Nickel Metal Hydride rechargeable batteries and rapid charger! Charge at home or in your car for maximum convenience,55mm Deluxe Filter Kit (set of 3)Three basic filters that will be used often, giving you the images you love! The UV will protect your camera lens, the FLD will correct unbalanced indoor lighting, and the Polarizer will act as "sunglasses" in bright conditions producing vibrant colors,Professional .45X Wide Angle Lens w/ Macro - for 52mm threading (Black),Professional 2X Telephoto Lens Converter - 52mm (Black), 55/52 STEP-DOWN RING, Compact Camcorder / Digital Camera Deluxe Carrying Case - DP5000
Soft-sided carrying case that provides convenient portability for a mid-sized digital camera or a compact camcorder, and 3pc. Lens Cleaning Kit.
Need opions pis total lays out like this
Subtotal: $466.98
Shipping (8-10 Business Days): $0.00
Tax (0%): $0.00
Total: $466.98
Disneyloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2006, 6:29 PM   #2

buydig has a good rating at resellerratings.com:

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2065.html

You can get the camera for the same price at B&H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...mp;Q=&sku=
393344&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavi gation

I don't think much of those accessory packs...usually a lot of off-brand crap - and very expensive. You can buy a 1 gb xD card (H) for $45.95 at B&H (and other places). The charger and batteries don't look too hot - you can buy a top brand (Sanyo, Maha, etc.) for less, and they will probably perform a lot better. The camera bag doesn't even look like it will hold your camera, let alone all the accessories they want to sell you...and do you really need all of those filter kits? How about a good tripod, instead?

Just my opinions, for what they're worth...thumbs up on the camera...I'd pass on the accessory kit.

Good luck with the Fuji!

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 2:48 AM   #3

Thank you for the opinion i strongly agree looking from ur perspective.
Disneyloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 8:22 PM   #4

It's interesting... I learned from a pro photographer that some of the bargain basement companies can sell a camera , even though you will get a warranty card - the warranty can not be honored. You have to ask the seller if they are authorized by fuji, Nikon, Canon etc. to be selling their cameras. If they are not authorized, you'll be getting a camera not covered by the manufacturers warranty. Caveat emptor.
nic11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 9:13 PM   #5

I don't believe that. I think you are referring to gray market cameras - those sold without warranty. A retail store does not have to be "authorized" to sell cameras...only to repair them under warranty. As long as you have a dated sales receipt and have registered your camera, either on line or by having mailed in your warranty card, you are qualified to receive service on your camera under the provisions of the warranty.

To sell you a gray market camera without telling you it has no warranty would be illegal.

Caveat venditor.

the Hun

Old Aug 28, 2006, 9:20 AM   #6

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/returns.htm

Please check out what it means to be Authorized as a dealer. I queried one dealer with great prices if they were authorized - their answered was they were a reseller and could not honor the warranty... this means that the camera company will not likely warranty the camera.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 9:23 AM   #7

better to get your camera repaired under warranty by the company that made it, rather than any camera repair shop. as sophisticated as cameras are these days, use of the camera manufacturer seems the way to go.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 12:30 PM   #8

I think not. We're talking about a Fuji S5200 here. There is nothing in the Fuji warranty that states or implies where or from whom you must purchase it. Resellers don't honor warranties...neither do "authorized" dealers - the manufacturer does. Camera repair shop? Take a look at the "authorized" Fuji repair locations in New York...they're camera repair shops, not a Fuji repair center.

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/JSP/fuji/...dbid=674543#NY

I have spoken to a Fujiauthorized repair station. They will perform warranty work on a Fuji camera as long as you have a dated sales receipt and the camera is within the warranty period and has not been abused. They get paid to fix them...do you really think they care where you bought it?

the Hun
Old Aug 29, 2006, 7:45 PM   #9

For what it's worth, I ordered a digicam from buydig.com two years ago. They had an excellent price and they actually shipped the camera thesame day I ordered it. That was impressive. Also, their website has thisline on it:
Buydig.com, a division of Beach Camera and Electronics an authorized Fuji dealer.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 5:43 PM   #10

Can you suggest a good deluxe carrying case for this Fujifilm FinePix S5200 that would be good quality, but $39.00 or less? I want to skip the accessory pack, since I can get a 1gb Sandisk xD type M card for this for $36.95 from buy.com, so if I can just find a good case, that would let me order the camera from BeachCamera, get the extended warranty through them, but let me skip the accessory pack. I'll also get some 2500 mAH MAHA rechargables from another source, where I know the batteries are extremely highly rated by several online reviews, so that is covered.

I'm searching right now, but haven't found a good one yet, and there doesn't seem much available on the Internet so far, so it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

TIA!

fotografo35 is offline   Reply With Quote