Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 25, 2006, 4:22 AM   #1

Fuji should announce at the same time with S9100/9600 that they'll send a firmware upgrade for S9000/9500 users.
Fuji produces now not a new model like S10.000 or something else, Fuji
accepts that some things were missing and maybe wrong with S9000/9500.

That's like, Microsoft sens to us servicepacks free for it's programs, for which we have payed money.
At least Fuji must send us now a upgrade version for our processor.

I never would buy S9000/9500, if I knew that Fuji is going to announce after 6months an upgraded camera.
And if Fuji doesn't write a firmware upgrade for us, I'm never going to buy
another Fuji(myself)
meto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2006, 6:24 AM   #2

I totally agree, this whole thing is leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

the 9100 \ 9600 is basically the same camera, I bet if you looked inside all the electronics would be the same, all they have done is upgraded the firmware and stuck a 2inch LCD on the back.

If I were fuji i would have upgraded the size of the sensor or even had the same size sensor with less megapixels to try and improve PQ.

mansell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 11:20 AM   #3

I don't understand what it is that you are so upset about. Have you really studied the specs on the new 9100/9600? There really isn't that much that is different.

First of all, the published specs are giving the file capacity of a 256 MB card, not the 16 MB card as it says in the specs. So there isn't really any difference in the file capacity in the new camera.

It appears that as far as JPEG file processing is concerned, they have turned up the sharpening because some people didn't seem to like their images. Personally, I like the images from my 9000 just the way they come from the camera.

They are including the Hyper-utility software with the camera. Big deal! I use Adobe Camera Raw to process my raw images. I have a workflow that I like. I don't need to have another program.

By releasing a new model, Fuji hasn't admitted that there is anything wrong with the 9000/9500. Businesses thrive on generating new business. The automotive companies come out with new models every year, but there is no suggestion that there was something wrong with the previous year. They are simply looking for ways to motivate people to continue buying more of their product. Why should you think that a camera company would be any different? Of course, there will be improvements along the way. That's what R&D is for; to find ways to improve a product. Maybe, in a year or two, there will be a significant change that will make upgrading worth it. I don't believe the S9100/S9600 is even aimed at owners of the S9000/S9500.

I agree that a firmware update would be welcomed. There has been one for the 9000/9500 that expanded the compatibility to include 6 GB CF cards. But the other changes that many people would welcome will probably not come to pass because they are (apparently) not part of the basic Fuji philosophy. Of course we won't know until the camera is released, but there has been some criticism about the basic menu design. A lot of people would like to have the option to switch to RAW moved to the "F" menu button.

One of you mentioned that the release of a new camera was an admission by Fuji that there is something wrong with the current model. What is wrong with your camera that you feel you need and update? And if you are not going to buy another Fuji camera for fear that they will release another one in a few months, what camera are you going to buy? My son-in-law bought a Nikon D70 when it was the hot new model. It's obsolete now. It isn't being offered by Nikon anymore. There has been one "upgrade" and now the D80 has been announced. There have been preview model reviews written about that camera. So does my son-in-law stopped using his D70? Of course not! It still takes just as good of pictures as it did before. My S9000 isn't going to perform poorly now just because this new S9100 has been released. I like my camera and the pictures it takes. Yes, the menu system can be a little frustrating at times. But it really isn't that big of a deal.

And again, if you're going to get upset with a camera company for releasing new models every few months, you had better just stop buying digital cameras. That's just the way it is.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 12:09 PM   #4

Fuji's S-series cameras are great. However, in a firmware update, I NEED to have the option to have the voice recording set to automatically trigger in RECORD mode or I can't buy any of the cameras. If it was on Record mode, our business would splurge. Surely Fuji has heard this from the real estate market before and those in businesses doing inventories of various kinds, such as in the oil business and for municipal governments. Wake up, camera companies!!!!

FUJI, are you listening? If I find out the S6000 doesn't have the audio on Record mode, I'll be calling you directly to put in a work order. Fuji seems to understand the requirements of a sub-SLR camera that will be used by photographers and not "point and shoot" tourists, and they are just this one little requirement away from selling so much more! (manual zoom, good metering, AEL feature, EVF, lens thread, etc.)

Of course, for real estate and businesses, starting at 24mm would be better, but that's about 10th on our list of required features. Starting at 28mm still works.

These camera companies are making me pull my hair out.
Robert Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 8:08 PM   #5

Well, that's how electronic companies work ... on a new product they put a new feature in it and take out another ... this way you need to buy more products to get everything you want.
belgian pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 1:38 AM   #6

I'm so upset, because s9000 was for me the best of best, now is a coming an upgrade, whichshould be better.

And I'm dissapointed, that an upgrade is announced with a name S9100/9600, because S9000/9500 is one of the Fujis best camera in digital cameras category. It has more specifications than the others at the market. Panasonic doesn't announces a DMCFZ31 or Canon won't be announce S3is3.1 or Sony DSCH-5.1; these are their special cameras. Olympus announces SP-510 for SP-500, that's ok, but not a update for C8080 or for C7070.

And again Fuji should write an upgrade for ours, at least maybe for poor light positions or something else, if S9000/9500 ownersare specialfor them like the camera, and we now that it's.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 6:13 PM   #7

The expectations being expressed here are unreasonable and ridiculous. If you were to purchase a new car, would you expect the manufacturer to upgrade your car when the new models are introduced? Of course not. Someone mentioned that their S9000 was the "best of best" for them. Just because a new model is released, that does not diminish the quality of the camera that you have. It will still take the same quality pictures it took before. When you purchased the S9000, did you really think it would never be upgraded? Have you not followed the trend Fuji has established?

If you look at the specs closely for the new camera, there really isn't that much to be concerned about. The main thing they have done is turn up the JPEG sharpening. And I don't want that anyway. My suspicions are that the differences in the quality of the images will be so minimal that it will take pixel peepers who are really dedicated to proving the difference to be able to point out any difference at all. This is just a marketing strategy.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 7:13 PM   #8

Let's see...Canon announced the S2IS on 4/22/05. They replaced it with the S3IS, which was announced on 2/21/06...just 10 months later. Canon did not offer their S2IS customers a firmware update making their cameras compatible with the S3IS.

Panasonic announced the FZ30 on 7/20/05. They replaced it with the FZ50, which was announced on 7/19/06...just one year later. Panasonic did not offer their FZ30 customers a firmware update making their cameras compatible with the FZ50.

Sony announced the DSC-H1 on 2/19/05. They replaced it with both the H2 and H5, which were announced on 2/25/06...just one week more than a year later. Sony did not offer a firmware update to make the H1 compatible with either of its replacement cameras.

Fuji announced the S9000 on 7/28/05. They replaced it with the S9100, which was announced on 8/24/06...nearly 13 months later. Fuji did not offer their S9000 customers a firmware update making their cameras compatible with the S9100.

Well, don't ever buy another Fuji...as a matter of fact, don't buy a Canon, Panasonic, or Sony either...they're liable to announce a replacement camera at any time...I hate when they do that...

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 2:03 AM   #9

These cameras are different each other. They didn't put a new processor or something morein to the same camera and said this is our new camera S3IS3,1 or DCH-2,1 or DMC-FZ31.

Sony, Panasonic, or Canon ..... are carefully about their cameras, which are important for them. I think, this is the cheap way to produce a new product. I know it that by cars or computers, the market works like that.

So, why does Sony, Panasonic, or Canon do not the same marketing politics, it's also much easier and cheaper for them to announce S3IS 3.1 or DSCH-2.1 or DMC-FZ31 ?

Old Aug 28, 2006, 11:23 AM   #10

Of course the cameras are different. They turned up the sharpening because a lot of people, when they first got their 9000/9500, were sending them back to the factory because the images weren't sharp. That is probably the biggest complaint about the 9000/9500. Personally, I like the way the camera works. And, the new one does have a slightly larger LCD screen because that is what quite a few people wanted. They also included the Hyper-utility software. I sometimes wonder if Fuji expected the raw format to be used as much as it is on the 9000/9500.

But again, if you are like me and are enjoying your camera, don't worry about it. It really isn't worth it. In reality, this "upgrade" isn't for you. Just out of curiosity, how long did you want Fuji to wait before they released a new 9000 series camera?