Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 26, 2003, 7:20 AM   #1

Default 3800 or 602Z ???????

hey ther everybody.
i am currently using a fginepix 40i.
very small compact little bugger but takes cool pix.
doesnt have an optical zoom lenz though.

looking at the 3800 and the 602Z.
what do u guys think is the better buy, and me not being a pro, will i need all the functions that the 602 has??

some honest opinions please as i dont wanna buy the 3800 and then a year later say man, i should have gotten the 602Z.
also, does the 602 allow wide angle and telephoto lenzes??

at the moment my choices for a new digicam r either the Fuji 3800, 602Z or Nikon 5700, or Sony DSC F717.

what do u guys think?
ive been using fuji and would love to stick with it but need some of ur guys valueable comments please.
thanks a mill.
Bryce(South Africa)
snakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2003, 2:26 PM   #2

Lots of sun, good price, great camera. BUT low light, indoor without flash, indoor with flash, the biggest downside is 100ASA only sensitivity. S602 has the newer sensor.

ASA affects a lot of things. Auto focus in low light, camera shake possibilities increase, battery drain on flash is greater due to more light (flash power needed).

You can fit wide angle and tele lenses on a 602, but you will need an adaptor tube.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2003, 12:50 AM   #3

If I were you, I'd get the s602 due to much wider asa sensitivity range. Also, it is usually a good idea to get as much camera as you can buy, that way you'll always have the option to use the extra goodies without having to dish out another couple hundred for a new camera.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2003, 3:27 AM   #4

hey there everyone.
thanks for the replies.

so the 602 is THE DON hey.
my worry initially was that non of the fuji sites or retailers sites said that u r able to fit on telephoto or wide angle lenzes to the 602, thats why i looked at the 3800.

but thanks a lot for the input.
will let everybody know when i get the new toy.

cheers for now.
Bryce Morgan(South Africa)
Old May 28, 2003, 7:17 PM   #5

I have the 3800 ...... no doubt the 602 is the better camera if you can afford it but it is a FAIR SITE LARGER than the 3800.

Remember that.

Two VERy different cameras.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2003, 3:22 AM   #6

hey there Alfisti.
thanks for the reply.

yip ive seen the size diff, and even though i have big hands, the 3800 is quite comfy in my hands.

i guess it will a choice of rather just buying the 602 so that in a few years time, ill be saying im glad i did rather than i wish i had.

thanks a million for the reply.
chat to u guys soon.
Bryce(South Africa)
Old Jun 5, 2003, 7:36 AM   #7

Default 602 versus 3800

The 602 has a slightly better macro, it has much better AVI capabilities, the 6 megapixel JPG allows a wider range of cropping and smoothing capabilities, and larger prints, and the CF card is less expensive than the xD cards. My friend has the 3800, and I have the 602Z, and I prefer the 602. However, if you only want a 3 megapixel shot, and the "extras" don't mean much to you, the 3800 will give you great pictures.
Marty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2003, 10:20 AM   #8

I just got my 3800 (or S304 as its known in the UK) and i'm hugely impressed.

I don't know much, if anything, about all exposure, whitebalance, aperture, and whatnot, but this cam has helped me take some great shots already ! I also had a look at the S602, and some people have said its a very different camera, I agree, but I prefer too look at the 602 as an upgraded version of the s304.

This is my first camera, so I didnt want to spend all my money (im a student) on the s602, so opted for teh s304. Heres the price difference:-

s304 = 270 with 55mm adapter ring inc
s602 = 450 (at least) without 55mm adapter ring (+30)

As u can see there is a substantial price difference, so just buy what u feel comfortable paying. After reading literally hundreds of reviews, aparently the issues with the 304 in low light carry accross onto the 602 also, because although u can manual focus on the latter, the camera still lacks an illuminating lamp? so no point being able to manual focus if u still can't see the EVF/LCD lol
Photodude is offline   Reply With Quote