Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 28, 2006, 5:14 PM   #1

My wife and I were at Office Max and found a great deal on a 1MB XD card (Type M). We weren't sure that it was compatible, so the manager offered to research it on the internet. After about 20 mins we couldn't find the answer, so the manager said: "Why don't we open the package and take a picture and we'll know" (we had the camera with us) So we did and it seemed to work, so we bought it.

Since then we have gotten "Write Error" a couple of times and have lost a couple of shots (most notably the infamous first day of school picture). Are you aware of any incompatibility issues between this XD card and our Finepix 2650 camera?

Do we need a firmware update or something? If so, can you provide a link to where I can download it?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Prepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2006, 5:44 PM   #2

The compatibility chart on the Fuji website doesn't even list the 2650 for ANY xD card. The 2600 is listed, and the chart says it is not compatible, but then that camera used the SD card anyway. I have a suspicion, however, that your camera is not compatible with this new card. There are newer cameras than yours that have required firmware updates to make them compatible. And I don't believe there are any updates for your camera. That camera is quite old (in digital camera terms) and as painful as it might seem, you might do yourself a big favor by moving up to a new model of camera.

Just a thought, however. Since you have already purchased the card, try formatting it in the camera and see if that makes any difference. I just looked at another document on the Fuji website that indicates that the type "M" card is compatible with most Fuji cameras. It mentions specifically 2 cameras that are not compatible, but yours is not one of them. So a reformatting of the card MIGHT make a difference. I think it's worth a try.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 10:13 AM   #3

I know, it's strange that we can't find any information about our camera on the website either. It is only a couple of years old at most, and it does indeed use XD. It came with a 16MB card in the box and we bought 2 32 MB cards shortly thereafter. We wanted to get a larger card so we didn't have to keep switching cards out and downloading so often.

We did format the card in the camera and everything seemed alright, but like I said, we get write errors every once in a while. I searched the web and came up with this forum and hoped someone might know what to do (other than upgrade the camera).

I guess, if no other ideas or solutions present themselves we will probably have to get a new camera. What's a good one (on a budget) that still utilizes XD?
Prepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 11:02 AM   #4

Actually, the 2650 is about four years old. Fuji has made a lot of changes and advances since that model was current. I don't know what to recommend for sure because I don't know what is important to you. Since you have purchased the xD card, it might be a good idea to stay with the Fuji line of cameras. If you want to stay small (very compact) you might want to consider the F10, F11, or F30. The F30 is the current model in the "F" series, and it is the most expensive in the series. If you look around you can find good deals on the other two. I don't know the prices for sure because I haven't been interested in them.

If you want to go to a little bit bigger camera, you might consider the 5200/5600 (US/rest of the world). If sort of looks like a very small SLR camera. It is really quite a versatile camera. Small, but not small enough to carry in your pocket. I have seen it listed for sale at some of the online camera stores for about $239.

The Kodak digital cameras are quite reasonably priced, and have a good consumer rating. I have a friend who has a Kodak, and he has sent me some very nice photos.

I would just go to a local camera store and give them a budget and ask them what to recommend. I have had three different Fuji digital cameras. I like them. But there are very good cameras from other manufacturers. Just find one that you like and can afford. They all take very good photos.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 4:03 PM   #5

If the 2650 is a camera that takes a SD card, and the xD card fits, and has worked in the 2650, does this mean that the xD and the SD cards are interchangeable ? Sounds rather odd to me. I do not know why a store would sell a 1M xD card to a customer bringing in a 2650, that shows as using an SD card. Would not a 1M Sd card be cheaper ? Odd occurrence I'm thinking. I guess the blind should really not lead the blind, or is it the blind should really not follow the blind ?

:?
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 4:21 PM   #6

I don't think that information is correct. My first digital camera was the Fuji 2600. It used the SD card. Shortly after I purchased my camera, the 2650 was introduced, and it used the xD card. The cards are not interchangeable.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 5:45 PM   #7
Administrator

No Fuji camera model has ever used SD (Secure Digital).

Older Fuji cameras like the Finepix 2600 used Smartmedia. Newer Fuji models use xD Picturecard.

Some Fuji models have dual card slots, so that they can also use CompactFlash.

The Finepix 2650 uses xD Picturecards. But, it's probably not fully compatible with newer type H and type M cards. It might work with a type H, and it might not. I'd avoid the type M cards for sure.

This model is not listed in the current card compatibility matrix on Fuji's site. So, I don't know if it would work properly with a 1GB Type H xD Picturecard or not.

Chances are, not (since these cards were not even available at the time the camera was manufacturered).

Some Fuji models may have problems with anything over 512MB. So, it's probably best to stick with a card that's 512MB or smaller, and avoid the newer Type H and Type M cards in it.

If you want to try it, make sure you use the camera's menus for format, not your PC.

I'd also suggest formatting the card prior to every use. This insures that you always start out with a fresh FAT (File Allocation Table), just the way the camera expects it (since it's performing the format). Sometimes using a PC to cut and paste images (or delete them), can result in incomplete writes to media and cause problems, depending on the driver being used.

If you format it with the camera's menus for format prior to each use, and you still get any errors, I'd see if the vendor can swap it out for you (get an older model 512MB or smaller xD Picturecard).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 5:52 PM   #8

If no Fuji camera ever used SD cards, then I wonder how I used them in my 2600. When I bought my Pentax I used the same cards in that camera.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 6:06 PM   #9
Administrator

jphess wrote:
Quote:
If no Fuji camera ever used SD cards, then I wonder how I used them in my 2600. When I bought my Pentax I used the same cards in that camera.
You're mistaken. ;-)

The Fuji Finepix 2600 used Smartmedia (as did other Olympus, Toshiba and Fuji models at the time). Smartmedia is now an obsolete memory format, and was only available in sizes up to 128MB.

They later developed xD Picturecard. This is the type of media used by newer Fuji and Olympus models.

Secure Digital (SD) is a competing memory card format, and is used by a lot of manufacturers now (but, not Fuji or Olympus, which are continuing to push xD Picturecard). Some of these models do take CompactFlash, too (but, no Fuji model has ever supported Secure Digital, at least not yet).

The older Finepix 2600 used only one memory type, and that was Smartmedia, available in sizes up to 128MB. It's a larger footprint card compared to xD Picturecard. Here is a photo from it's review here:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 6:58 PM   #10

Then the 2600 went through a mid-model revision, because mine used SD cards. I have never purchased or used SmartMedia cards in any of my cameras. So it kind of looks like we are both right in this case. I think when the xD card came along they changed again, but they changed the model number to 2650. I don't have my 2600 any more, but I do remember buying SD cards for it; never have I purchased a SmartMedia card.