Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 31, 2006, 12:33 PM   #21

toshi43,

But, in my opinion, your pictures are not representative of the same contrast difference as the problem pictures that have been posted. Even on your cross photo, the contrast is not as great as the last picture that shows the trees against the white building. I would like to see the results from your camera taking a picture under the same conditions. I'm not sure there is a problem with the camera in question. I don't have a 5200, but on my 9000 I occasionally get the same purple fringing if I don't watch my composition. Not all the time, just occasionally.

Only problem is, you might not want to try a similar shot because you don't want to know if your camera has that problem. :-)
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 12:48 PM   #22

nelmr, I had to look for it, but here it is. This is a 100% crop of a highly over-exposed pic of a trellis in my yard. You can see some PF in the shadow area behind the hanging flower basket, but I think any non-DSLR would show it to at least that extent.
Attached Images

toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 12:58 PM   #23

Jphess, here's another pic I took in an extremely high-contrast situation with my S5200. This is a 100% crop, very little PF that I can see, certainly nothing like Germain's last pic.
Attached Images

Old Aug 31, 2006, 1:32 PM   #24

This is a test shot I just took,very high contrast, full zoom, 100% crop. You can see a little PF, but it isn't nearly as obvious as in Germain's pics. This is becoming a very interesting thread indeed.
Attached Images

Old Aug 31, 2006, 2:11 PM   #25

Indeed interesting thread. I hope I didn't stir up something here...In any case, here are some new pix. Thought it would be good to know EXIF data:* 1/500, f/4.0, ISO64
Attached Images

Karmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 2:12 PM   #26

This one now. Same EXIFGermain*
Attached Images

Old Aug 31, 2006, 2:13 PM   #27

Miracle! No fringe. EXIF: 1/280, f/7.1, ISO64
Attached Images

Old Aug 31, 2006, 2:19 PM   #28

Karmin,

Your picture of the car in particular makes me feel that you should at least contact Fuji. I would include in your e-mail some examples of the problem.

Have you tried using exposure compensation? See what happens with similar photos taken at -1/3 and -2/3 EV.

You posted more pictures while I was commenting. The reason (I think) there is no PF in that last image is because there is not nearly the contrast.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 2:19 PM   #29

Interesting that the last is f7.1. The last image isn't as contrasty though so it may or may not have been prone.

If apperture affects your PF problem then I would likely guess your PF is due to lens aberrations of some sort.

Could you try taking pics of the same exact scene one right after each other using the A-mode (apperture prioity) and shoot from f2.8 (or lowest f number possible), one at say f4, another at f5.6, and yet another at f8?

I am curious to see if your PF problem is in certain appertures.

Also, I noticed that in the most recent shots the car and building that the PF is up to 10 pixels wide. This is severe in my opinion.
nelmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 2:20 PM   #30

Here's another test shot I took of a bush against a white house in bright sunlight at full zoom. I think any non-DSLR would produce at least this much or more PF.
Jphess, I actually AM interested in knowing if my camera's working well. This shot should prove that.:-)
Attached Images