Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 29, 2006, 9:10 PM   #1

Hello to this group, I'm new to Fuji cameras. That is I bought a S5200 to act as a second camera (Nikon D50) when this one is gone for cleaning or else. I'm growing attached to the little beast but I find the photos not so eyecatching as I was told they were to be, or as I expected rom a Fuji product: color saturated, highly defined pictures.* On the contrary, photos taken with the S5200 are a bit on the dull side and are in need of much unsharpening in PShop or else. Plus the purple fringing is abnormally high to my taste at the end of the zoom. Don't take me wrong, I'm not comparing with my D50. No. I'm rather comparing with a Canon S2 IS I had that died in my hands before purchasing the D50. Before going for the S5200, I was offered a Canon A610 or A620 to my choice and I really hesitated but they were higher priced than the S5200 ($300 CDN with taxes). But maybe I'm doing something wrong or not doing something that could enhance the photos. Or is it just the Fuji way to take pictures? Please help me, give me some hints. I have 30 days to make up my mind. There were some days that I really wanted to take the camera back to the store and go for the Canon. Many many thanks. Germain*[img]/forums/images/emoticons/confused-smiley-017.gif[/img]
Karmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2006, 1:27 PM   #2

Welcome to the Forums, Germain. Everything depends on lighting conditions of course, but generally speaking, I'm quite pleased with my S5200's performance. I don't find purple fringing to be very evident at all: as for the other issues you mention, there are adjustments to sharpness and saturation available in the menu system that could possibly resolve them. It sounds like your camera's sharpness might be set at 'hard', changing it to 'std' or 'soft' may make your pictures more pleasing to you. You could also try the 'chrome' saturation setting.
Attached Images

toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 1:47 PM   #3

Hello toshi43 and thanks a lot for the good information. I'm back from a shooting spree and I must admit, this S5200 has something going for it, like the shooting speed. But it definitely has a fringing problem, no matter what setting the camera is in. But I guess this is not a life or death issue, isnt'it? But in ancy case here's a photo taken at maxium zoom. Tell me what you think. If I remember well, my defunct S2 IS had purple fringing but not in that magnitude. Wow, are we going back to the old Canon and the rest of the world issue..eThaks again, Germain.*[img]/forums/images/emoticons/oogle.gif[/img]
Attached Images

Old Aug 30, 2006, 10:38 PM   #4

Wow, I see what you mean. I don't see anywhere near that level of purple fringing, so I wonder if your camera might be defective.
Attached Images

Old Aug 30, 2006, 11:01 PM   #5

Hi again, OK there's another and last image. If someone can tell me it's normal, I keep the baby. Otherwise, I'm taking it back to Sears where I bought it and...maybe go back to Canon with all bells and whistles available. Please be honest and tell me what you think. Cause it's my very first Fuji and I'm a bit disappointed. Plus, not many people here convinced me I had made the better choice. If it were not for your post Toshi, I'd feel as much alone as I felt when the salesman at Sears told me the S5200 had the same image stabilization system as every other cameras in the department. I was really expecting more "Go for Fuji. Keep the camera.* A new world opens up to you". Maybe I'm too sentimental...Germain.*[img]/forums/images/emoticons/shakehead.gif[/img]
Attached Images

Old Aug 30, 2006, 11:17 PM   #6

I have the S5100 (previous model). I've shoot around 2,000 pics or so with it and I must say that your purple fringing issue does not seem uncommon to me.

Purple fringing occurs most often in high dynamic scenese such as sunlight reflecting off of crome, glass, white paint, etc. It also happens where a bright object is next to a dark object.

I really don't think the camera is defective based off what I have scene so far and comparing it to my S5100 model.

I also have a Canon XT and must say that their is quite a big difference in SLR vs P&S image quality. THe purple fringing being one of them.

The reason for it is mostly due to pixel pitch/area. The P&S cameras pixels easily get overloaded with light and this light fills over into the neighboring pixels and shows up as purple fridging. On dSLRs the pixels are bigger and overflowing happens less often.

I really doubt the S2 IS or S3 IS would fare much better in the purple fringing issue if it was shot under the exact conditions and lighting as your two examples.

Regarding fuji's color and "punch" of the image. Are you shooting raw or jpeg? If JPEG turn "Vivid" mode on and see if this helps you. If RAW and if you are using the supplied software (which uses the same processing of the camera) I sould suggest you either use Photoshop's Camera Raw or the free S7raw program for better image quality and more control.

For tutorials on how to get better image quality from Fuji Raw files read my articles at www.mattspinelli.com regarding s7raw. I just recently posted part 2d talking about how to use curves (which should help with the dullness of an image).
nelmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 11:23 PM   #7

You can also use this photoshop plugin to remove most of the fringing for free:

http://www.sd3.info/pf828/PFree/PFree0-1.html

nelmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 11:43 PM   #8

I wish I had a definitive answer for you, Germain. If you can get your hands on one, it might be helpful for you to compare another S5200 directly with yours to see if there's any difference between them.
If the Sears salesperson told you the S5200 has an Image Stabilization system, he/she was lying to you. That alone would be enough to make me take the camera back and find someone else to deal with.
If you need a camera with true IS, I highly recommend the Canon S3 IS. It's quite a bit more expensive than the S5200 or the new S6000, but judging from your posts, I think you might be happier with it.
That said, I have to say that I'm very happy with my S5200's performance. I've gotten some outstanding results with it and purple fringing isn't much evident at all. Maybe I'm just not as fussy as some. Good luck to you.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 11:59 PM   #9

Hello again and thanks a million times for the good information. I said no more pictures but...after this one that I like. The truth is I'd like to keep the S5200. As I said, I was about to settle for a Canon A610 with the swiveling monitor, "my colors" function fror swapping, enhancing blues, reds, greens and its ability to increase or decrease the powet of the flash. But the S5200 was on sale and a big sale. I also liked the idea of a 10x zoom. Now that I've had the S5200 for a weel, I grew to like it a lot. Now I just wanna know if S5200 has an important purple fringiing issue in shooting conditions that you describe nelmr. You seem to say that they do have, as other P&S have. I remember my Canon S2 IS had one but it was not so pronounced. So it ends up to "do I want to keep a camera that i like that has this problem?". As for going back to Sears. Will they accept a replacement?* I would like to be comforted in Fuji's products. Maybe some other members of this forum could post a picture they took in the same conditions (lighting) and I could judge by myself. So again thanks and thanks again. Germain.*[img]/forums/images/emoticons/confused-smiley-017.gif[/img]
Attached Images

Old Aug 31, 2006, 12:02 AM   #10

Forgot: I have a G5 iMac. PShop plugins are Windows only...Germain.[img]/forums/images/emoticons/shakehead.gif[/img]