Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (
-   General Discussion (
-   -   [Recovered Thread: 119991] (

unpunkryan Mar 18, 2007 4:47 PM

ok so i want to buy a couple of gradual grey filters and a polarizing filter... if i buy cokin, do i have to buy the holder/adapter for all of those filters too? I was wondering because i was looking at buying a polarizer online first and wasn't sure if it was a screw on filter or a square one. any help is good, thanks.

Caboose Mar 18, 2007 9:44 PM

if you are talking about a circular polarizer by cokin, they are round but are not screw on, they also fit in the holder. As far as the gradual filters, you don't have to have the holder, you can just hand hold them in front of your lens, but it is a little easier with the holder.

unpunkryan Mar 19, 2007 3:17 PM

are there any screw on polarizers/gradual greys?

Bob Nichol Mar 19, 2007 4:21 PM

Hoya and B & W are among the better brands of screw in filters. They are available in many diameters. Check at your local camera store or favourite Internet supplier in your country. Look for multi-coated filters for best image quality.

If you have several lenses with different filter diameters you could get a filter for the largest diameter then get step rings to fit the filter to the smaller diameter lenses. Same sources as filters.

Caboose Mar 19, 2007 5:53 PM

unpunkryan wrote:

are there any screw on polarizers/gradual greys
As bob says I would go for the better quality screw on circular polarizer filters. I actually have several sizes for each of my lenses, but you could go with the largest size and get the step down rings as Bob suggests. As for the graduated or split neutral density filters I don't believe they come in a screw on version, these are going to be the square filters like Cokin, someone I'm sure someonewill correct me ifI'm wrong about this. As I said earlier though you don't have to have the holder to use these, you can just hold them up in front of your lens, easy enough to do especially if you use a tripod.

Bob Nichol Mar 19, 2007 6:42 PM

Hoya does have a half neutral density filter in screw in which rotates like a olarizer.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:18 PM.