Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums >

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 1, 2019, 2:30 PM   #1

Default adapt EF 50mm f/1.8 II to point and shoot

I can get one of these lenses for very little; and I'm wondering if I can adapt it to one of my point and shoots, say, for macros or ????
It has manual a manual focus ring.
Thanks,
..... john
Shinnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2019, 5:06 PM   #2

G'day John

At the moment we nede a bit more info re- your thoughts before committing to a Y/N answer

In theory - there is no reason at all why a lens could not be adapted in some way - but the mechanics need to be ascertained beforehand

Any SLR lens reversed will focus onto a subject approx 20-25mm from the rear element, the issue is holding the lens so that the P&S camera can look thru it correctly. I can imagine a metal bar [like a dual flash extension bar] connected into the camera's tripod socket at one end and via a clamp around the lens / manual focus ring at the other end - so that the focus ring is clamped and the whole lens rotates to achieve focus - while the P&S shoots thru the 50mm lens for the images

Nothing is impossible - look up "Heath Robinson" for some interesting designs from 100 yrs ago

Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:36 PM   #3

Hi Phil,
I'm primarily interested in finding out if you think this escapade has any merit at all. I wasn't sure that this isn't another hair brained idea. I think I'll make the huge $10 financial commitment and see what comes of it.
Thanks,
...... john
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:54 AM   #4

If any of your point and shoot cameras have threads for filters, you should be able to find what you need to adapt them at some of the places that sell photo accessories. They are called something like 'lens reversing macro adapters'. Just pick one with threads to fit each end and screw them together.
I once used a flat rubber drive belt which was just the right size to hold two lenses together back to back, to do the same thing. And there's always duct tape.
brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2019, 8:31 AM   #5

Hi Brian,
Yes, OK. Good ideas. Do you have any idea what adapting this lens to one of my cameras might accomplish, i.e., macro, telephoto, ???
..... john
Old Apr 2, 2019, 2:01 PM   #6

They are for macro use, as the 50mm lens, when turned around, is quite a nice magnifier. Most of the adapters I've seen are made for using with SLRs and have the camera mount with a filter thread to mount the lens to backwards. What you want is a filter thread adapter with male threads on both sides. (assuming your camera is threaded for a filter. It is a lot like using a high diopter macro adapter, and there will be quite a lot of edge distortion.
brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2019, 4:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
If any of your point and shoot cameras have threads for filters, you should be able to find what you need to adapt them at some of the places that sell photo accessories. They are called something like 'lens reversing macro adapters'.
Reversing rings are to connect a lens, backwards, to an SLR's lens mount, not to another lens, so they won't work to mount the lens onto another lens.

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2019, 4:31 PM   #8

G'day John

Like VT - I have done this stuff back in film camera days - whereby I reversed both 50mm & 28mm lenses onto extension tubes. Each lens has about a 25mm focal distance [to avoid mirror bang with the SLR] and the magnification varies with the amount of mm's of tubes in use

For today - if you had the Panasonic adapter tube for your FZ-100/150/200??? it comes with a 55mm filter thread on the outer face. Therefore if you chase a male to male 55mm to [whatever the 50mm lens has] adapter then you can have a go at super-macros

Two things I would suggest -
a) do not bolt the 50mm lens directly to the FZ lens as it will damage the internal motors [I am sure you already know all this] and
b) experiment first by holding it carefully lens-front to front to the FZ and see how it goes. Remembering that your focal distance-to-subject will be about one inch from the subject

Hope this helps
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2019, 4:33 PM   #9

The ideal situation would be if the lens on the P&S used the same size filter as the 50/1.8. Then you could just use a UV or clear filter. Screw it on halfway to the 50, then screw it on the rest of the way into the P&S.

If your P&S doesn't use 52mm filters, you might be able to use a filter adapter between the filter and the P&S, but if you have to use more than one, it probably won't work.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote