Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums >

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 25, 2020, 9:02 AM   #1

Default Canon SX240HS CMOS sensor

I have two questions:
1. I just bought one of these cameras, used, needless to say; and It has basically two options wrt iso ..... auto or one of the choices from 100 to 3200. (In auto, It often defaults to 400 or higher.) Do I have to rethink my iso mindset which comes mostly from using cameras with CCD sensors. (By the way, it's a BSI CMOS sensor, if that matters.)
2. A more general question. Is the CMOS sensor better than the CCD? It seems like a lot of cameras are still made with CCD sensors.
Thanks,
.......... john
Shinnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2020, 5:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinnen View Post
1. I just bought one of these cameras, used, needless to say; and It has basically two options wrt iso ..... auto or one of the choices from 100 to 3200. (In auto, It often defaults to 400 or higher.) Do I have to rethink my iso mindset which comes mostly from using cameras with CCD sensors. (By the way, it's a BSI CMOS sensor, if that matters.)
What mindset is that?

Quote:
2. A more general question. Is the CMOS sensor better than the CCD? It seems like a lot of cameras are still made with CCD sensors.
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_...._CMOS_sensors
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2020, 5:53 PM   #3

G'day John

Memory from all the superzooms I have owned says that buried in the Setup -or- Record menu is an option for "max ISO when in Auto-ISO mode"

Hope this helps
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2020, 6:39 PM   #4

Hi TCav,
My mindset is that in order to get relatively noise free images (with CCD sensor) one should try not to exceed iso 200.
........ john
P.S. Thanks for the shortcut

Last edited by Shinnen; Jun 25, 2020 at 6:40 PM. Reason: additon of post script
Old Jun 25, 2020, 6:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
G'day John

Memory from all the superzooms I have owned says that buried in the Setup -or- Record menu is an option for "max ISO when in Auto-ISO mode"

Hope this helps
Phil
Hi Phil,
Yes, that's my experience too. I didn't see it, but I'll have another look.
Thanks,
..... john
Old Jun 25, 2020, 10:39 PM   #6

Quote:
My mindset is that in order to get relatively noise free images (with CCD sensor) one should try not to exceed iso 200.
There are so many variables that affect the level of image noise, that making a blanket statement that one type of sensor is inherently better at producing low image noise than the other, isn't necessarily valid.

Try it and see how much noise you're willing to accept. The best way to do that is to take a sequence of photos of a clear blue sky at different ISO Settings. You'll get noise in all of them, but you'll see the level of noise as it relates to the ISO. But keep in mind that noise is masked by detail. In addition, the process of upsampling (to print) or downsampling (to display on a computer screen, will reduce image noise.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 11:19 AM   #7

Hi TCav,
Well, this camera can produce ok levels of noise at iso 1600, where the same iso setting in any of my cameras with CCD sensors will produce extremely noisy images.
The article you referenced says that the CMOS sensor is cheaper to produce, yet it 'seems to me' that they command a premium price in the consumer market. Is this marketing, something like the fact that car manufacturers continue charging more for a car with automatic transmissions, even after they became cheaper to produce then the same car with manual transmission?
........ john
Old Jun 26, 2020, 1:30 PM   #8

Quote:
The article you referenced says that the CMOS sensor is cheaper to produce, yet it 'seems to me' that they command a premium price in the consumer market.
That may be true in general, but sensor manufacturers love to monkey with the technology, so the same generalization may not apply to the "BSI-CMOS' sensor in your SX240.