Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/general-discussion-11/)
-   -   Enlarging Artwork (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/general-discussion-11/enlarging-artwork-19075/)

gverde Jan 14, 2004 2:14 PM

Enlarging Artwork

I have a painting that I want to make a enlargement of 20" x 30". I have a 4x5 color transparency of the original painting also that was done professionally. I can also take a picture of the painting with a Digital Rebel. I was wondering if I scanned the 4x5 on a good photo scanner, will it be better quality than using the DRebel photo and enlarging it in Photoshop. I'm gonna use Walmart's outside photo services because it is very inexpensive. I was gonna use a photo lab using the 4x5 made into a C print but it would cost close to $150. I think Walmart wants under $20.

slipe Jan 15, 2004 1:15 PM

You will probably get better quality scanning the transparency in a good photo flatbed like an Epson 3200. Even a 1600 PPI photo flatbed with a lighted lid would probably do better than using the camera if it will take the transparency. Iím guessing a pro shop would have used optimum lighting making the transparency that might be hard for you to duplicate.

Check with Wal Mart on their maximum file size. Even scanning a 4 X 5 at 1600 PPI is going to give an enormous file. Seems I read over on dpreview that they have a max file size. A TIFF from your Rebel is close to 18Mb and might also be too large for them.

voxmagna Jan 15, 2004 6:06 PM

You could try taking 4 or 5 shots on a tripod and zipping the images. Never done it, but the pano people do a lot of this with Pano Tools. That way you keep some of the res. - but you still need to handle big files in a V. fast PC. The disadvantage is how good geometry wise do you think the camera lens is ? Flat bed scanning avoids this, but I've heard you have to be careful to get faithful colour rendition.VOX

BillDrew Jan 15, 2004 8:43 PM

Yes, you could stitch, but I wouldn't recomend starting down that road unless you think you will have some other reason to do some stitching.

First off, just try a simple single shot of the art, upsize it to be able to print at 20x30", then crop out a couple of 4x6" section with the most important detail, e.g., eyes, butterfly wing, .... Have those printed at Wal*Mart and see if there is enough detail in them to be good enough for you. Farily cheap test.

Also give them the whole upsized image to print at 4x6" - that will test any file size limits. I have given Wal*Mart a 170M file to print that way and they did it with no comment. I think their file size limit refers to sending them via the internet, not being delivered on CD to your local store.

gverde Jan 16, 2004 9:49 AM

Thanks everyone for the replies. I ended up scanning the 4x5 in a Epson 2450 photo scanner. It actually turned out pretty good. I will have Kinkos do the enlargement of 24" x 36" for $90.00. They also laminate and attach the print on foamcore board. I found out that Walmart only wants a 4x6 print of the painting to make a negative for the enlargement. This would be an added step and the quality would be inferior for my taste. Glenn

Nikon 5700

gverde Jan 16, 2004 9:50 AM

Thanks everyone for the replies. I ended up scanning the 4x5 in a Epson 2450 photo scanner. It actually turned out pretty good. I will have Kinkos do the enlargement of 24" x 36" for $90.00. They also laminate and attach the print on foamcore board. I found out that Walmart only wants a 4x6 print of the painting to make a negative for the enlargement. This would be an added step and the quality would be inferior for my taste. Glenn

Nikon 5700