Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums >

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 7, 2019, 7:04 PM   #1

Default Fz 150 af/ae

Hi,
I've never really bothered with the AF/AE lock and am not really sure what it does. There's a button that says AF/AE lock; there's a menu item that says Quick AF; and there's another menu item called AF/AE lock with the option of choosing either AF or AE or both.
Can someone give me a quick run down on the use of these settings?
Thanks,
...... john
Shinnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:45 AM   #2

If, as an example, you want to focus on a particular subject, but then recompose the picture to have the subject off to the side, you would use the AF lock. Similarly, if you were doing a backlit portrait, you could zoom in on the face and lock the exposure, then recompose the shot and have the face properly exposed. (and the background washed out) In the case of the portrait, you might want to lock both.
Sometimes, when taking a series of shots of a moving object, AF lock will let you shoot more rapidly than if the camera had to refocus every time.
Not sure about the Quick AF. Perhaps it loosens up the focus requirements to keep the shot to shot times down, at the expense of a little sharpness.
brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:52 PM   #3

Hi Brian,
Ok. I'll try that.
Thanks,
..... john
Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:45 PM   #4

G'day John

The Panny AF / AE lock stuff is very useful to some of us on some occasions - like having $$ in the wallet - useful when you've got some

The menu choice is for you to select any of:
[so that when you press the button when taking a photo]
a) do you want to lock the AF only and let the AE alter as you move the camera around
b) do you want to lock the AE and let the AF reset itself as you move the camera around, or
c) do you want to lock BOTH items together

As I do a lot of pano stuff, I have selected to lock AE ... I meter the centre / most important part of the scene - press the AF/AE button to lock exposure and then sweep the camera across the scene taking 8 to 12 images for stitching later on. It means that each image is on full focus with a similar exposure for each image

Once the button is pressed, the letters AEL are shown in the bottom-left corner of the EVF as well. The AF/AE is unlocked either when you press the button a second time, or when you power 'off'

QUICK-AF mode is now called AF-C .... continuous AF during composing &/or following the subject before shooting

Hope this helps
Phil

Last edited by Ozzie_Traveller; Apr 8, 2019 at 4:59 PM.
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:41 PM   #5

Thanks Phil,
Yes, OK. I get it. That means that all of your shots are exposed at the same level as the first one. I can see that. I guess what I'm somewhat confused about is why one would lock AF. I'm assuming that AF lock would lock your focus point at a distance the same as the object you originally focused on? I'm not sure where I would use that.
.... john

Last edited by Shinnen; Apr 8, 2019 at 10:44 PM. Reason: clarification
Old Apr 9, 2019, 4:56 PM   #6

G'day John

Not sure as well
I would presume it could be an 'arty-farty' pic where you were doing a pano shoot with something sharp in the foreground and you wanted the background to remain blurry as the camera swept across the scene

Phil
Old Apr 9, 2019, 6:00 PM   #7

Hi Brian/Phil,
I'm assuming that the AF lock would lock the focus at a particular distance from the camera, or ....... does it keep the object that it's locked on in focus, regardless of it's distance from the camera? If that's the case, it would be great for following a particular horse in the race, or a bird in flight, or anything moving ..... and negate the need to continually refocus.
..... john

Last edited by Shinnen; Apr 9, 2019 at 6:03 PM. Reason: add more
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:12 PM   #8

AF lock just locks focus at a certain distance. It doesn't lock on to a particular object. Some versions of AF/C will attempt to do that, but I'm not sure that all cameras do. My Pentax DSLRs will do it, at least with some things I've tried. Generally, the object would need to be fairly large, in focus for the first shot, and have sufficient contrast with the background.
brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:38 AM   #9

Hi Brian,
So, are you saying that, as far as you know, AF lock on the FZ150 does not lock onto an object?
..... john

Last edited by Shinnen; Apr 10, 2019 at 8:41 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:33 PM   #10

G'day John

If you haven't yet downloaded the full user manual for the FZ-150, it seems that you need to do so
Page 117 gives all the info you are asking about

While the FZ-150s "AF Tracking" is there, most cameras these days call it AF-C for 'Continuous' mode, and also, 'yes' it has become better and faster as each model of the camera is released. The latest Panny cameras can track as fast as most regular dSLRs can focus track

Phil
Attached Images