Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/general-discussion-11/)
-   -   Mirrorless suggestions that dont disappoint (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/general-discussion-11/mirrorless-suggestions-dont-disappoint-224788/)

Luke81 Nov 23, 2016 3:57 AM

Mirrorless suggestions that dont disappoint

hi everyone,

looking into my first camera investment around 1000$. whats the best quality in picture I can get for 600-1300usd?

Use:
family, kids, vacation
portability is a plus, DSLRs are too big
basic functions, mostly auto and evening/sunset
good 1080p video with good stabilization is appreciated. 4K not necessary.

Concerns:
is a pro-point and shoot sufficient (jpeg) or will image quality disappoint

Considerations:
anything from an RX100 iii or iv, over G7Xii to varius point and shoot lumix, all the way to a6000 or a6300 (if the jpeg quality is really much better) to fuji or lumix.

I'd appreciate your feedback :)

TCav Nov 23, 2016 6:00 AM

For mirrorless cameras, I'd suggest a m4/3 camera. It's true that larger image sensors produce marginally better images, but as the image sensor gets larger, the more complex the lens design becomes, so the lenses for APS-C (and larger) mirrorless cameras tend to be not as good, more expensive, or both.

TCav Nov 23, 2016 2:56 PM

BTW, while mirrorless cameras are smaller and lighter than equivalent dSLRs, their lenses aren't any smaller or lighter than dSLR lenses. If you'll be getting multiple lenses, the advantage of mirrorless dissipates quickly.

Ozzie_Traveller Nov 24, 2016 1:57 PM

G'day Luke

I'd be having a sqwiz at the Panasonic Lumix G7 with the 14-140 lens and see if it suits your needs

Phil

JacobVR Dec 19, 2016 4:59 PM

There will always be more 'focus on the cameras capabilities instead of the most important piece of equipment.....You! Photography has always reminded me of similar beliefs on he golf course....blame the club instead of the swinger, something goes wrong and back to the clubhouse to purchase another club instead of more practice.........silly but always true.

JacobVR Dec 22, 2016 5:15 PM

There's a good reason mirrorless fans feel put upon. Read more of this independent report from Business Insider, not slanted to anyone's camera bias. The marketplace speaks and these are the facts

JacobVR Dec 22, 2016 5:19 PM

I'm an adventure traveler and love my Olympus OM-D E-M1. Watching a fellow hiker struggle over 15,000' Salkantay Pass on our way to Machu Picchu while he was carrying his DSLR kit reinforced my decision. I think you were spot on about innovation. Mirroless does lag behind "full frame" DSLR in some areas, but that gap is rapidly closing. I predict that in 2-3 years max, those gaps will be largely closed. Will they be the same? Nope. Just as 35mm-based DSLRs are not comparable to medium format, nor medium format comparable to large format. Physics say they can't be.