Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/general-discussion-11/)
-   -   my camera died! (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/general-discussion-11/my-camera-died-211839/)

squirl033 Jul 1, 2014 5:08 PM

my camera died!

so, a while back, my 5D Mk II started giving me "error 30" messages. it's out of warranty - just over 2 years old - so i took it to a highly regarded local camera shop. well, they just called, apparently the shutter needs replacing, and it's gonna set me back almost $600 to get the damned camera fixed!! i really cannot afford this, and if not for the fact that a new camera would cost me a whole lot more, i wouldn't bother. the thing didn't even have 10,000 clicks on it! Canon estimates the life of the 5D2 shutter at 150,000, and mine dies after 8,800? really? needless to say, i am NOT a happy camper!!

gjtoth Jul 1, 2014 5:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirl033 (Post 1376671)
so, a while back, my 5D Mk II started giving me "error 30" messages. it's out of warranty - just over 2 years old - so i took it to a highly regarded local camera shop. well, they just called, apparently the shutter needs replacing, and it's gonna set me back almost $600 to get the damned camera fixed!! i really cannot afford this, and if not for the fact that a new camera would cost me a whole lot more, i wouldn't bother. the thing didn't even have 10,000 clicks on it! Canon estimates the life of the 5D2 shutter at 150,000, and mine dies after 8,800? really? needless to say, i am NOT a happy camper!!

Oh, man... I'm really sorry to hear that, Rocky. If it were any of mine, I'd be sick about it. Did you tell Canon the number of clicks? Sometimes, if you howl a lot, they'll make some concessions. Best of luck getting back up and running.

SIMON40 Jul 1, 2014 6:07 PM

I would definitely give Canon the third degree... relentlessly... that's just not acceptable to be failing at that count.
Fingers crossed for a positive outcome...

lisalonewolf Jul 1, 2014 7:48 PM

Rip

I have a Sony H50 and a Kodak 990 which died. I turned it on and it starts to push lens out and dies.
Neither had too many clicks on them. I really miss the Sony h50, I had a lot of pics which didn't need any PP.
Ah well.
Lisa

VTphotog Jul 1, 2014 10:04 PM

I think, if it were me, I would send it to the manufacturer for service, along with a letter expressing my disappointment with the reliability, and the damage to it's reputation this would cause.

brian

Hawgwild Jul 1, 2014 11:57 PM

Rocky, I agree with the consensus that says raise hell with Canon. I would copy and paste your original post to Canon. I would be pissed too, not kidding! As my father-in-law likes to say.. "Don't take any prisoners."

lomitamike Jul 2, 2014 8:48 PM

Steve's digicams is a very popular website for camera reviews. 5th popular on google as of now.
Being that your an active forum member who frequently post I think that gives you a little leverage. I would definitely make sure that Canon is made aware that the forum members are watching to see what happens.
Good luck Rocky. I'll be watching to see what happens.

Hawgwild Jul 2, 2014 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lomitamike (Post 1376724)
Steve's digicams is a very popular website for camera reviews. 5th popular on google as of now.
Being that your an active forum member who frequently post I think that gives you a little leverage. I would definitely make sure that Canon is made aware that the forum members are watching to see what happens.
Good luck Rocky. I'll be watching to see what happens.

+1 ^^^^!

Calicajun Jul 6, 2014 1:14 AM

Contact Canon, they were fixing that problem for free. I'm not sure what they are still doing about it now but give them a call as it can't hurt.

Bynx Jul 6, 2014 12:00 PM

Yes give them a call, as you have nothing to lose. Also inform them that the situation is being watched by a large camera community of which you are a member in high standing. Again, nothing to lose.