Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums >

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 3, 2006, 5:27 PM   #1
soukups's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 54

I see wedding photographers offer prints that are 'sprayed and mounted'. Can someone tell me what this is? Whats the difference if I get it sprayed and mounted then drop it in a frame, or if I just drop it in a frame (without spray and mount). It seems that the spray and mount isn't needed when you get a frame that already has a back and a glass pane. Also, Is the 'spray' an adhesive for the print to stick to the board or is it a protective covering for the photo. Thanks in advance.
soukups is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2006, 11:36 PM   #2
Senior Member
granthagen's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 804

You'd have to contact the photographer to see exactly what he means by "sprayed and mounted." If he's referring to Board-Mounted prints, then likely the pic is directly attached to a thick, composit board -- like Foamcore, medium density fiberboard, or Gatorfoam -- and sprayed with a sealing material like Print Shield. The coating is neccesary because there is no protective glass or thick plastic like a framed print.

Coating (inkjet) prints can protect the image from color shifts and fading beyond what framing behind glass alone can accomplish. The extra length of protection depending on the ink/paper/coating combination. So, it might well be worth it to get coated prints for really special pictures that will be traditionally framed.

granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28 PM.