Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums >

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 3, 2020, 10:17 AM   #1

Default Thanks

Thank you to everyone who helped me to resolve my photography related issues in in 2019. I appreciate the help.
....... john
Shinnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2020, 3:09 PM   #2

G'day John

Thanks for your 'thanks' mate ... and that is one of the fabulous things about a forum such as this [compared with the other qwikkie platforms] whereby we / people can have a pleasant discussion and share notes on a particular topic without it becoming a free-for-all

It's a pity that this particular forum has declined so much over the last 2-3 years with others now taking over as the 'premier' forums for serious photo users

Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2020, 6:50 PM   #3

Hi Phil,
I haven't noticed any reduction in the quality of answers I get, but then I don't post that much. Yourself, TCav, VTphotog, Simon, and a couple of others address my problems pretty thoroughly and honestly.
I think I heard that you're right smack in the middle of those hellish fires. How are you doing?
...... john
Old Jan 6, 2020, 5:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinnen View Post
Hi Phil,
..... I think I heard that you're right smack in the middle of those hellish fires. How are you doing? .... john
G'day John .... and thanks for asking
I posted this on a UK photo site week ago:-
G'day all
For those here who might have family or friends, or just may be curious as to how much of New South Wales state in eastern Oz has been affected by the current bushfires, there is a link below to the Rural Fire Service (RFS) web site
https://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/fire-info.../fires-near-me

In area, the state of NSW is 10% larger than Texas and 15% larger than France. The eastern (coastal) side of the state is heavily forested and this is where the fires mostly are.

On today's ABC radio news it was announced that "another 200 homes have been lost over the last 24 hours" taking the state total now to around 1400 homes with a similar number of farm sheds and out buildings also lost to these fires

I will not post any images here - there are plenty on the TV
Hope this helps those here who may have family "over there"
Phil

= = =
Update, 07 Jan
Today's ABC radio it was mentioned that all the forest areas now burned are greater than the size of Italy (for Euro readers) or Arizona for US readers. Totally burned, total destruction. Some are comparing it to a war zone like Bosnia a few years ago. With the ever-changing perimeters of these fires, the fire fighters have hundreds and hundreds of kilometres (miles if you prefer) to fight against to try to stop it spreading

Housing losses are expected to reach 2000 when all the smoke drifts away &/or rain comes. Many of these houses are in small towns well clear of forests - they have caught fire from stuff falling from the sky, up to 6 kilometres away from the actual fire front - but brought by strong winds

Yesterday the fire zone received 5mm / 1/4-inch of rain which is more than they have received for months - and they really need 300mm / 12-inches to really kill of most of the fires

Coastal communities with one road in-out have been evacuated by Navy ships - so far about 1500 people have been removed from fire affected areas
Insurance claims will be horrendous, with an industry person saying today that they're expecting over 5 billion dollars of claims

Phil

Last edited by Ozzie_Traveller; Jan 6, 2020 at 5:51 PM.
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2020, 7:26 PM   #5

Hi Phil,
Yes, it does sound pretty much like hell.
Thanks for the update.
Take care of yourself.
....... john