Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums >

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 28, 2003, 9:04 PM   #1
Junior Member
Devatch's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 13
Default What is a bulb?

This word is used when talking about the shutter speed, just curious to know what it is... and how it works
Devatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2003, 9:35 PM   #2
Senior Member
UniSonBBS's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 294


When your camera is set to "bulb" what it means is when you press the shutter button and hold it, the shutter will stay open until you let go. Its another way of doing long exposures.

You can do some neat things with it. Like when a car is going by, pan with your camera take the picture but hold it for like a split second longer then you usually do and let go. So say you took a 1/4th second exposure of that car going by... You might be lucky enough to have almost frooze the car, but the background will look like it was zoomin by... :P
UniSonBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2003, 6:55 AM   #3
Senior Member
normjackson's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 167

In case you're curious, Devatch, the name dates from the days before auto flash synchronisation when the user had to open shutter, fire bulb flash then close shutter manually.
normjackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 8:30 AM.