Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums >

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 17, 2020, 10:26 AM   #1

Default What camera should I buy?

I've decided to make photography my hobby. I want to get a mid range camera (is that a good idea or is lower better for now?), I don't plan on upgrading for a year or two, I figure it will take me some time and a lot of practice to go for something better if need be later on. My budget is around $500, it can be a little more if it makes sense. I keep browsing on amazon and I feel overwhelmed as I know nothing about these cameras but I really want one. I've read a few posts here and there and watched some stuff on youtube, however I don't know anyone I can ask irl and I just would like for someone to make sense of buying a camera. Do I need the Canon EOS Rebel T6 with bundle (I don't know what I'm looking at in those dslr bundles and I don't know if it's a deal or trash) for $ 550 on amazon (can I post a link at what I'm looking at or can you guys pull it up by searching amazon?) or would just a camera and a certain lense do it for awhile? I would like to be able to use it to take pictures of my husbands band playing indoors/outdoors at night and during the day. I would love to be able to take nice shots of my kids playing sports (football & ballet) as well as close ups. I think these cameras can handle taking a decent video as well? It would be used for birthdays or holidays (where on the camera would the sound be recorded or is that an extra? I can't figure this one out at all, sorry if it is dumb to ask.) See this is where I wouldn't mind going over the budget because I was planning on buying a video cam that can record at night but if a photo cam can handle the occasional video that would be awesome and square away that purchase. I just don't know if it would be able to record in the dark is that even a thing with these types of cameras?

Thank you for reading through my scattered brain post, please help!10.0.0.0.1 192.168.1.254 happymod

Last edited by trikibasey2; Aug 18, 2020 at 4:37 AM.
trikibasey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2020, 2:32 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikibasey2 View Post
I would like to be able to use it to take pictures of my husbands band playing indoors/outdoors at night and during the day. I would love to be able to take nice shots of my kids playing sports (football & ballet) as well as close ups.
The lenses that come with entry-level dSLRs won't handle any of those very well, and the lenses that do will exceed your $500 budget by quite a bit.

I suggest you consider a superzoom 'Point & Shoot' camera with a large aperture. There are several that can be had for what you want to spend. The key things you should be looking for are a large sensor (which will create images with less image noise) and large apertures (lower f-numbers) (to be able to take photographs in lower light and/or faster shutter speeds).

I'd say probably the best choice for you is the Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. It normally sells for ~$800, but currently there's an instant $300 rebate.

I invite others to contribute their own ideas.

Last edited by TCav; Aug 17, 2020 at 2:41 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2020, 4:40 PM   #3

G'day TB

Your text is a bit hard to read - but I get the message that you
a) are new to the love / art of photography
b) you want an inexpensive camera that will do lots of useful things, and
c) your budget is around $us500

Our mate TCav has suggested that a 'superzoom' camera, also called a 'bridge' camera might be the best way to go ... and I agree with him, especially as I use these cameras daily and love them

For information - a superzoom camera is a fixed-lens camera - ie: whatever lens comes with the camera is all that you need, there is no need to spend lots of money on other lenses, while at the same time it has very nearly all the same features of an interchangeable-lens dSLR camera

The big difference is that the superzoom camera has a small sensor when compared with the dSLR and therefore is not used commercially by photoographers who are making a living from photography. But for enthusiasts like me and others here, it is a wonderful camera type to make use of

Okay - back to you ...
You want a good camera with a good lens which can also do video stuff as well as take very good regular photos. My suggestion would be the Panasonic FZ-300 ~ a very special camera with some very nice tricks up its sleeve. [the camera is also called the FZ-330 in some places]

Look it up here ...
https://www.dpreview.com/products/pa...sonic_dmcfz300

It has a world-famous Leica zoom lens; it takes excellent images that will print to 24 inches wide if you need enlargements and it does video as well

For video ideas, I suggest that you chase up Graham Houghton (from UK) youtube videos showing this camera and how good it is

Hope this helps
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2020, 7:42 AM   #4

FYI, you can rent a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 here, just to try it out.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 3:30 PM   #5

I think you should buy Fujifilm X100F 24.3 MP APS-C Camera because this neo-classical Fujifilm compact camera is very easy to use. It has the ability to capture still objects as well as moving objects without blurring the pictures a single bit. Moreover, this Fujifilm video camera offers quality video recording in six frame rates.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 6:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry21 View Post
I think you should buy Fujifilm X100F 24.3 MP APS-C Camera because this neo-classical Fujifilm compact camera is very easy to use. It has the ability to capture still objects as well as moving objects without blurring the pictures a single bit. Moreover, this Fujifilm video camera offers quality video recording in six frame rates.
What it doesn't have is a lens appropriate for what the OP wants to shoot.

But thanks anyway.