Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/general-discussion-11/)
-   -   What magazine to read regulary?? (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/general-discussion-11/what-magazine-read-regulary-59090/)

driliagor Jun 21, 2005 7:50 PM

I'm relativly new to photography, but enjoy very much my hobby. For more than a year I had Canon A85 AND Photoshop, now upgraded to Canon 350 D. I read couple of books on technical and artistic aspects of photography, and trying to implement them in my work.

I want to subscribe to a magazine , to read on a regular basis, but there are so many of tham , don't know what to choose:?.

Can you help me with this? Is there any bias of these magazines, I mean, some are morefor amature, others are for pro??

PeterP Jun 21, 2005 8:14 PM

The only ones I still have a subscription to are Photo Life and DigitalPhotoPro

Photo Life just because it is Canadian and is not bad, focus is on photography not advertising :-)/
DigitalPhotoPro, usually has good bios of successfull pro shooters, and some reviews.

Used to get Outdoor Photographer Very good articles but felt it became too repetitive after many years, I had it since its initial issue. I let my subscription lapse with the passing of Galen Rowell and John Netherton.
I'd recommend looking at Outdoor Photographer if you are just getting going, same publisher puts out DigitalPhotoPro :-).

Lens Works, View Camera,and PDN(Photo District News) were also good but I suspect not for the general hobyist.

Peter.

[email protected] Jun 21, 2005 8:55 PM

I like to study the photos in newspapers.

The major newspapers hire some really good photogs. Sometimes I'll copy their styles.

My major advice to you, in terms of artistry, is to look at the scene you're about to photograph, and reflect on how you feel about it.

If you can find some way to take a shot that best expresses the way you feel, then you've arrived as a photographer.

No book or magazinecan really teach you that. Just go out an give it a try, then review your results.

Terry

fireman Jun 21, 2005 9:11 PM

Outdoor Photography and forums like this

Monza76 Jun 28, 2005 9:37 PM

PC Photo is surprisingly good, lots of practical stuff. Other than that I find the British mag, Practical Photographyvery informative, entertaining and focused on photography, not equipment.

All of the other magazines mentioned have their strengths and weaknesses, I prefer those that concentrate more on the activity of photography rather than the tools of photography.

Ira

PeterP Jun 29, 2005 1:27 PM

Ha, your Canadian too and you don't do Photo Life ? :-) .

Peter.

Meryl Arbing Jun 29, 2005 2:59 PM

Since I already own a camera, I have no need of ads or reviews and I don't find the articles particularly enlightening so...I don't read any of them.

Monza76 Jun 29, 2005 4:16 PM

Hey, I pick up photo Life most of the time, it does fit my criteria.

Ira