Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (
-   General Discussion (
-   -   What type of insurance should I buy? (

kleanchap Oct 7, 2013 1:36 PM

What type of insurance should I buy?
I have new Nikon DSLR which I plan to take it on the road. I plan to take good care with the camera and the lenses. If I were to buy insurance for the camera, what kind should I get? I am not a professional photographer. What kind of insurances are out there to cover the hobbyist gear? Is there damage/theft insurance for photography equipment? While traveling as a tourist you never know what type of people or neighborhood you may walk into.

Any advise or information appreciated.

Thank you in advance.


JohnG Oct 7, 2013 2:17 PM

My preference is State Farm Personal Articles policy. Some homeowners/renters policies will cover when you travel but there are more limitations. AND, making a claim against those policies includes a higher deductible and you risk getting dropped. I have the State Farm policy and had to make a claim one month in to the policy. No issues, no deductible. Now - you have to provide item level information on the gear including serial numbers. You also have to be aware that upon claim they will either replace it for you up-to insured amount or give you their rate for the item in $$$ (their purchase price which is comparable to online prices).

VTphotog Oct 7, 2013 2:20 PM

If you have homeowner's or renter's insurance, that would be the place to start. There may be some coverage included, and you should be able to obtain a rider on the policy to cover additional losses.
If that won't do, many of the camera stores are able to provide you with specialty policies.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 8:44 AM.