Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums >

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 8, 2021, 7:23 AM   #1

Default Why a resized photo is no use in showing camera quality?

We get many people here interested in camera/lens/image quality.... aren't we all really as this helps us to get a good image.

To be able to show this quality it can't be done by taking a full image and just resizing for the web as this will hide a myriad of issues including sharpness and noise. It is not until you see a 100% crop can this level of detail be determined. Now I'm not saying a photo must be perfect at 100% as unless you are printing very large it won't be seen, but I just want us to allow other members and guests to get a real idea of what they can expect. All too often we see someone say xyz camera is great, look at this sample, but it is just a reduced shot which tell nothing at all.VidMate Mobdro

To be able to see what I mean I've used a photo which was taken by a friend of mine (we did a swap, I got her son for a minute and she got a Canon 5D.... I was happy to get the 5D back lol). The camera selected the wall behind us to rather than our faces however in the photo reduced for the web this is very hard to tell for sure.

It is not until we see a 100% crop in the 2nd photo that it is possible to tell how far out of focus the faces are. So we go from thinking this has produced an OK but necessarily great photo to it being pretty soft when we see the real deal and probably not the sort of result we would want.

I'm not saying don't post photos at web sizes, as for a lot of things like composition, lighting and many other techniques they are great, as well as sharing some of the simply stunning photographs our members produce. It's only if you are trying to show the quality, please remember to post a 100% crop to let people know the real story (it's always worth showing the reduced and the crop shots the same as I have here so we know what we are looking at).

Last edited by AubreyCooper; Jan 9, 2021 at 11:04 AM.
AubreyCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2021, 9:03 AM   #2

Granted, but too often, people compare a 100% crop of a 24MP image to a 100% crop of a 16MP image. There are a number of factors that affect the results of the "Which camera is best" question when trying to make a case in an on-line forum.

For instance, much has been made (and continues to be made) about Sony's 12MP A7S series having lower noise than its 24MP A7 Series. In absolute terms, objective tests have shown this to be true, but the fact that gets sweeped under the carpet is that resolution hides noise. Errant pixels in a 12MP image are proportionately larger than they are in a 24MP image, so even if there are fewer of them, the ones that persist have a greater impact on image quality.

Last edited by TCav; Jan 8, 2021 at 6:58 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2021, 2:03 AM   #3

G'day TCav + Mods

Yet another Spoofed post
Regards, Phil
= = = = =
Dec 15, 2009, Mark1616, Super Moderator
Why a resized photo is no use in showing camera quality
We get many people here interested in camera/lens/image quality.... aren't we all really as this helps us to get a good image.

To be able to show this quality it can't be done by taking a full image and just resizing for the web as this will hide a myriad of issues including sharpness and noise. It is not until you see a 100% crop can this level of detail be determined. Now I'm not saying a photo must be perfect at 100% as unless you are printing very large it won't be seen, but I just want us to allow other members and guests to get a real idea of what they can expect. All too often we see someone say xyz camera is great, look at this sample, but it is just a reduced shot which tell nothing at all.
=== and so it continues ===
Aug 28, 2020, AmirJustin
Why a resized photo is no use in showing camera quality?

To be able to show this quality it can't be done by taking a full image and just resizing for the web as this will hide a myriad of issues including sharpness and noise. It is not until you see a 100% crop can this level of detail be determined. Now I'm not saying a photo must be perfect at 100% as unless you are printing very large it won't be seen, but I just want us to allow other members and guests to get a real idea of what they can expect. All too often we see someone say xyz camera is great, look at this sample, but it is just a reduced shot which tell nothing at all.
Sep 10, 2020, JamesLucas
Why a resized photo is no use in showing camera quality?

To be able to show this quality it can't be done by taking a full image and just resizing for the web as this will hide a myriad of issues including sharpness and noise. It is not until you see a 100% crop can this level of detail be determined. Now I'm not saying a photo must be perfect at 100% as unless you are printing very large it won't be seen, omegle xender but I just want us to allow other members and guests to get a real idea of what they can expect. All too often we see someone say xyz camera is great, look at this sample, but it is just a reduced shot which tell nothing at all.

Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2021, 6:56 AM   #4

Granted, but, for the time being anyway, posts like this shouldn't be allowed to spread mis-truths and half-truths unchallenged.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote