Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 27, 2003, 10:08 PM   #1

Default Big decision time ... one "all purpose" or two cam

Wel here is my situation. i initially bought my camera (Fuji 3800) as a take everywhere jobbie but over time i have become nearly addicted to photography and I am taking it more seriously ... well enjoying it more would be a better discription.

My problem is portability. The Fuji takes nice shots but that boxy shape, even though it is ultra light, means one is reluctant to take the camera out on a LOT of occassions.

However, i do despise the LOUSY 100mm zoom a lot of digicams have and love the 230mm the 3800 has. So i have been looking for a compromise camera and the Pentax 450/550 seems like it is it in very compact form with a biggish 190mm zoom.

But in the end .. i know i need a larger camera for better shots given stability and a better flash as two starting points.

Sooooooooooooooo do you guys have two cameras, a "compact" shooter with medium advances controls and then a bigger more serious camera when you go somewhere that the size of the camera is not a hassle??

I am considering this option but a) it'as pricey and B) ... what a hassle kkeeping all your photos in chronological order ..... it will be a pain to say the least.

Oh ... i don't like add on lenses .. too expensive and too bulky.

As an example ... i would grab say a Canon A70 as my P+S and a Fuji S602/Nikon 5700 etc as my serious jobbie.

To me, a "compact" camera i am confident with is no larger than the A70 ... a genuine 'hiking pants pocket" camera ... no need for those TINY shirt pocket things.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2003, 11:57 AM   #2

I use an Olympus C-730 (10x optical zoom) for hiking, about 14 ounces with betteries. I carry it in a Domke Giraffe front pack, really well designed hands-free camera pack that keeps everything you need at stomach level. It has a couple of small storage pockets for extra batteries, a wide angle add-on (about $35) and a few filters . I also take a monopod that doubles as a hiking stick. Hope this helps.
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2003, 11:08 PM   #3

While my circumstance is perhaps not comparable with the level of equipment that y'all are talking about, my reasoning is based on similar facts. There has not yet been a camera produced that combines all of the attributes of image quality, versitility, speed, and user features into a subminiature package suitable for carrying with you everywhere (not to metion affordable).

I have opted for two cameras rather than a single compromise camera for the same sort of reasons. The Sony U20 is 4.2 oz and is dimensionally small enough to carry along at all times (like a pack of gum). It is a serious camera capable of capturing excellent images which are consistent in quality with any 2Mp camera (only drawback is the lack of zoom). The Oly C3020 is a much more versitile and optically supior camera. While it is really not too big to lug around, its size does make you look (or feel) like a tourist on vacation while walking around with it hanging from your neck ( this is ok if you really are a tourist on vacation, but is too kewl if you are trying to be inconspicuous).
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2003, 11:09 PM   #4

While my circumstance is perhaps not comparable with the level of equipment that y'all are talking about, my reasoning is based on similar facts. There has not yet been a camera produced that combines all of the attributes of image quality, versitility, speed, and user features into a subminiature package suitable for carrying with you everywhere (not to metion affordable).

I have opted for two cameras rather than a single compromise camera for the same sort of reasons. The Sony U20 is 4.2 oz and is dimensionally small enough to carry along at all times (like a pack of gum). It is a serious camera capable of capturing excellent images which are consistent in quality with any 2Mp camera (only drawback is the lack of zoom). The Oly C3020 is a much more versitile and optically supior camera. While it is really not too big to lug around, its size does make you look (or feel) like a tourist on vacation while walking around with it hanging from your neck ( this is ok if you really are a tourist on vacation, but is too kewl if you are trying to be inconspicuous).
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2003, 1:06 AM   #5

What about the Nikon cp 4500? It seems compact enough and has a 4x zoom. Plus this camera has tons of manual features and great image quality. Plus there is currently a $200 rebate for this camera so you can get it for about $400 after rebate. Furthermore, if you like big zooms, then you'll enjoy the fact that since the cp4500 has a small lens diameter, you can add monoculars and even telescopes (with the right adapters) with little to no vignetting.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2003, 7:13 PM   #6

The c series olyies don't have a stabalised lens so the 230+ range is tough to use. it is a better shape than the Fuji though i must admit.

The Nikon is a tad big and at 4x zoom just not enough.

Yesterday i played with the Panasonic LZ-1 which was great but it is SO FRONT HEAVY withthat big lens ... too deep too.

The Optio 550 was tiny .. i actually wish it was a tad larger to bne honest.

I am so confused it's not funny :shock:
Old Jun 1, 2003, 8:45 PM   #7
SSD

I went through the same thing not to long ago. I wanted a larger camera that takes really good pics for serious stuff, but I also like having a small point and shoot that is easy to carry with me everywhere. I finally decided to get it over with and get 2 cameras, even though it was a little pricy. I do not regret my decision at all. It is so nice having a small camera I can take with me everywhere and it is not in the way, yet I know I have an awesome camera for more serious stuff, and a lot of photo workshops I go to.

I love my Fuji s602 and the 6x lens on it. I also have the option to buy additional add on lens. I have gotten the extension tube and a UV filter to help protect the lens. This camera takes great pictures and is easy to use.

I ended up getting a Canon A70 which is an awesome camera. I carry it or the Nikon 3100 (had to try it out when on sale at Dell for 265.00) I was going to return the one I did not like and ended up keeping them both. I let my son use the Nikon a lot.

I did not mean to ramble and I hope this helps!
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2003, 10:20 PM   #8

Sorry, I have to say this again. The Oly C series work fine without image stabilization - just takes a little practice. A monopod is plenty of image stabilization when needed............
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2003, 5:43 AM   #9

I have done handheld shots at full optical zoom (380mm, 10x), AND full digital zoom (1026mm, 27x) with no problem, as long as you have enough daylight to use a high enough shutter speed to compensate for the extended zoom.

There are three pics of a steeple taken myself (Mikefellh) on the following page where I was just showing someone the power of the camera zoom...these were taken at the spur of the moment, so no tripod or monopod. The pics were reduced in size for posting:
http://www.pbase.com/oly_c700/info

I admit I would have liked if my C-700 had IS, but I would have gotten lazy, like I have using the computerized auto exposure rather than setting the shutter speed and f-stop myself (when I do creative pics, I go fully manual).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2003, 6:10 PM   #10

Well i must be honest an say i do not have a very steady hand at all .. i do struggle ops: ops:

I think my ideal camera is about the size of the C-700 series olyies but maybe 20% thinner ... i'd be willing to give up 100mm of zoom if it could be thinner and less bulky.

For those with two cams ... what do you do when yo udownload the pics ... do you use software that did not come with the camera to keep things in order??? I can see it causing big problems.