Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 4, 2006, 10:26 AM   #1

I have a number of questions regarding ordering professional prints from Picasa2.

I already have figured out the answer to the question "How does Google make money by developing and giving away free software?" It apparently does so by steering its users to specific companies offering printing services online. Presumably, these companies share revenues with Google. To encourage users to use the affiliated companies' printing services, Picasa2 does not provide much information about alternative methods of ordering professional prints.

My questions are these:

1. If you order professional prints by selecting the "Print" command in Picasa2, does the program send the edited version of your photos to the print service? Or does it send the original, unedited version?

2. When using the print command, does Picasa2 limit the size of the files sent out online? Or is the full file sent to the print service?

3. How many pictures can be sent to the print service in one order? If you have just returned with 200 pictures of your trip to Paris, can you send them all in with a single transmission? Or must you break your order up into components?

4. What if you want to take a burned CD into your local print service? How do you go about that? Do you use the "Create a gift CD" function? That process seems to permit only the copying of folders and labels to the CD - not individual pictures. Do you therefore have to go through the tedious process of creating labels if you have only selected pictures that you would like to burn to the CD? Does the "Create a gift CD" process put the edited version of your pictures on the CD or the original version or both? If the answer is either "the unedited" or "both", how can the CD be used for ordering professional prints?
Larry67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2006, 12:51 PM   #2
Administrator

Larry67 wrote:
Quote:
1. If you order professional prints by selecting the "Print" command in Picasa2, does the program send the edited version of your photos to the print service? Or does it send the original, unedited version?
I use Picasa as a browsing tool, and I've never tried to order prints using it. BTW, you're referring to "Order Prints" button (which lets you order prints from vendors they have worked out an interface with), versus the "Print" button (which lets you print your own photos on a home printer).

But, you got my curiosity up, so I gave it a try. It sends the edited version of an image (at least to Winkflash, which I just tried since I already have an account setup with them).

Quote:
2. When using the print command, does Picasa2 limit the size of the files sent out online? Or is the full file sent to the print service?
With Winkflash, it appeared to apply a relatively hefty amount of JPEG Compression (at least the file size shown on their site was much smaller than the original). This could be something Winkflash is doing versus Picasa (compressing the images to take up less space on their servers). You'd have to experiment with other print services to find out.

Quote:
3. How many pictures can be sent to the print service in one order? If you have just returned with 200 pictures of your trip to Paris, can you send them all in with a single transmission? Or must you break your order up into components?
You'd have to try it. It looks like I can send multiple images to Winkflash. But, I haven't test any other service. Some print services may have a restriction on the number of photos that can be uploaded.

Quote:
4. What if you want to take a burned CD into your local print service? How do you go about that? Do you use the "Create a gift CD" function? That process seems to permit only the copying of folders and labels to the CD - not individual pictures. Do you therefore have to go through the tedious process of creating labels if you have only selected pictures that you would like to burn to the CD? Does the "Create a gift CD" process put the edited version of your pictures on the CD or the original version or both? If the answer is either "the unedited" or "both", how can the CD be used for ordering professional prints?
You're making this harder than it needs to be. ;-)

It doesn't look like their Gift CD is designed for that purpose.

All you need to do is use the Export Function in Picasa to Export photos that include your edits. You can even select the amount of JPEG Compression being used to reduce any degradation in quality (or use more compression if you want smaller file sizes).

After you select the desired photos and use the Export Button, it applies the edits and puts a copy of these edited images in the folder that you choose, without ever modifying the original images (it's designed for non-destructive edits). It evens open the folder it Exports to using Windows Explorer for you. So, you could just select the photos and copy them to your CD letting Windows burn it if you don't have any favorite tools for that purpose.

You don't have to use the tools built into Picasa for ordering prints or burning images to CD. ;-) Use the Export Button.

I've been using Picasa for browing images for a while (I like it for that purpose) and I've never even tried those tools until seeing your post here this morning.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote