Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 7, 2006, 7:22 AM   #11

It might be that there isn't enough room for a mirror in "prosumer" digital cameras--maybe the rear lens element is just too close to the sensor. (I'm not going to take my Z1 apart to have a look, though!)
Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 7:54 AM   #12

Tom LaPrise wrote:
Quote:
It might be that there isn't enough room for a mirror in "prosumer" digital cameras--maybe the rear lens element is just too close to the sensor. (I'm not going to take my Z1 apart to have a look, though!)
If that is the case, it could be awinnerif some manufacturers sqeeze in thereflex mirror. Because it really serve good purpose to conserve battery esp. a long outing and seeing the rear thing thru optical VF is so different from seeing thru EVF.
creationist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 6:21 PM   #13

You didn't quite understand me right. First off, Macro Filters are completely unrelated to optical viewfinders, they just arn't even the same concept.

DSLR's use an optical viewfinder that takes exactly what the lens sees, and shows that to you using mirrors, the few times I have been able to play with a DSLR, I have absolutely loved this set up and think it is far superior to EVF.

However, I took your question to mean that you were wondering why they don't have optical viewfinders like in P&S cameras, which are completely different then DSLR's. So if I understood you wrong there, then our discussion has been largely misled. I think that a Prosumer camera with a through-the-lens DSLR style viewfinder using mirrors would be amazing, but it is probably hard to do (due to space and cost).

Now if you meant, like I thought you did, the kind of viewfinder that P&S camera have, then it is just a completely seperate piece of glass in the camera, and see things slightly different then the lens does, because it collects it's own light, not that coming in through the lens. This would make zooming with it very difficult (because that type of viewfinder does not extend out of the camera body).

So we may have just had a misunderstanding here!:blah:

creationist wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

You have problem understanding close up filter in your other thread. You also mentioned above that you have problem using optical view finder. In fact all DSLR uses optical view finder. So with due respect, I don't think above is the correct answer.

Any takers to explain?
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 8:35 PM   #14

Hi Morag,

I believed my question first posted is clear and you certainly misunderstood my question. Nothing to do with those side windows found in P&S. If prosumer camera comes withside windows, I don't think an idiot will ever buy it becauseI believe some professional is also using prosumer camra for convenience.

Cheers that now you understand my question.

So do I need towait for the day for prosumer camera to come upa reflex TTLreal time view of what you see is what you get?

Old Sep 7, 2006, 10:02 PM   #15

I reread your first post and in hindsight, it was quite clear, I was tired when I read it sorry! Now I can really answer your question.

I think what you're describing is basically a toned down DSLR with a fixed lens. So most camera manufacturers probably would prefer to release it as a DSLR with exchangeable lenses so they can sell it for more.
Old Sep 9, 2006, 6:09 PM   #16

It is something along those lines. I did see an article once that explained the technical reasons why they can't do it, and although I can't remember all the details I think they basically said it's because of the lens retracting back into the camera body when it's not in use, taking up all the space a mirror etc would need.

creationist wrote:
Quote:
Tom LaPrise wrote:
Quote:
If that is the case, it could be awinnerif some manufacturers sqeeze in thereflex mirror. Because it really serve good purpose to conserve battery esp. a long outing and seeing the rear thing thru optical VF is so different from seeing thru EVF.
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 10:39 PM   #17

If a prosumer camera had a mirror and a prism view finder instead of an EVF than it would be a dslr ... simple
belgian pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 2:38 AM   #18

MrPogo wrote:
Quote:
It is something along those lines. I did see an article once that explained the technical reasons why they can't do it, and although I can't remember all the details I think they basically said it's because of the lens retracting back into the camera body when it's not in use, taking up all the space a mirror etc would need.

Although I cannot authenticate the correctness of your answer, I think yours and Mr. Tom Laprise reasoning seems most logical. Now I'm looking forward to lens manufacturer to design something that has less retract and waiting for the day that prosumer cam can incorporate a reflex mirror.

Cheers
Old Sep 10, 2006, 6:29 PM   #19

This does kind of suck... if the only reason is that the lens retracts. Because I store my Prosumer camera with a lens adapter on it, meaning that it takes as much space up as if the lens was always extended. I'd be kind of ticked if I learned I gave up DSLR-style viewfinders for a retractable lens that doesn't benefit me:lol:
Old Sep 10, 2006, 8:14 PM   #20

My Minolta 7i & A1 never had retractable lenses. They can put holograms on the windshields of cars...I think the first DSLR maker that manages to put a live histogram hologram in a viewfinder will own the market.