Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 10, 2006, 11:13 PM   #21

I think my prosumer camera has a live histogram... do they usually? I really don't know how to use a histogram.
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 5:00 AM   #22

Now to be clear ... what is a prosumer? I think that some people are talking about different things here ...

Is my fuji S9500 a prosumer? I yes than prosumers have no retractable lens ...

And if a prosumer has a mirror and viewfinder it's a DSLR ...
belgian pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2006, 12:16 PM   #23

belgian pie wrote:
Quote:
Now to be clear ... what is a prosumer? I think that some people are talking about different things here ...

Is my fuji S9500 a prosumer? I yes than prosumers have no retractable lens ...

And if a prosumer has a mirror and viewfinder it's a DSLR ...
My topic has somewhat deviated by some misunderstood people. I'm not sure which smart Alex has come up with the name prosumer. You cannot find it in any latest dictionary. But a camera if made in a certain way got to have a name for it, isn't it? So lets speak the same languagesince the world iscallingit at large, and yes, your S9500 is a prosumer.

So back to my first post-why a prosumer cam cannot have a view finder with reflex mirror instead of an EVF. If it is possible to have an optical view finder with reflex mirror but not an interchangable lens but still uses those 10x or 12x zoom, it will be a fantastic camera as one don't need to carry so many lenes. Maybe call it a prosumer SLR.

So to answer your question, your above perception is not quite correct. But there again, on the proviso that the camera designer are able to design for what I have described.

creationist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2006, 6:32 PM   #24

Creationist, I like the camera that you're describing, haha, a Prosumer SLR. That is the kind of thing I would like for my next camera. When I decide to upgrade, I probably won't be ready for the cost involved in an DSLR with multiple lenses. Instead I would want the best Prosumer camera on the market, and if it had an SLR-style viewfinder... well that would be wonderful!
Old Sep 14, 2006, 6:05 PM   #25

Why DSLRs dont have live preview on the LCD is a better question
than why most digital cameras(except for compacts) have EVF.

SLRs use a mirror. Thus, no preview on the LCD. Why would SLRs
still need to use a mirror is beyond me. It's annoying, creates shake,
adds weight and size, slapping noise, and is generally useless in a digital camera.

EVF are slow, it's hard to follow action; however, it has many advantages over
optical viewer.

If DSLRs with EVF and no mirror with live LCD preview come out, then I will get one, right now I am getting an Lumix FZ50.

romphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 11:57 PM   #26

Why DSLRs dont have live preview on the LCD is a better question
than why most digital cameras(except for compacts) have EVF.

Yes. Olympus E330. Its the world first DSLR with live LCD. I think its about 6 mths in the market. I don't understand why other brand not following suit. Yet to see.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E330/E330A.HTM

EVF are slow, it's hard to follow action; however, it has many advantages over
optical viewer. If DSLRs with EVF and no mirror with live LCD preview come out, then I will get one, right now I am getting an Lumix FZ50.

Strange to me. If EVF is slow and hard to follow, then why you still prefer it over optical VF? As for me, the ideal is Optical VF and live LCD.Still waiting for such camera to be invented. At least we can conserve battery by viewing thru the optical for a long journey trip. To me, an optical VFis definitely much easier to see without the jarring image.

People in this thread has responded by saying reflex mirror is not possible due to the lens retraction. With due respect to these responders, I'm not too sure is that the correct answer. Many many years ago, when lens able to reach a zoom factor 38 to 105, it took the market by storm. and the whole world were yelling. Then came Tamron 28 to 200 marco. Now 28 to 300 with better marco isin the market. Maybe even more sophisticatedlens then I described as I'm still not the most updated. Then prosumer zoom creep up slowly reachinga 12x (38 to 420) with macro. I really really believed one day, lens can be made with such retraction that it is possible to incorporate with a reflex mirror. The held back from such possibilities are market forces and profit driven and to a certain extend not what the consumer wants.

creationist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 12:05 AM   #27

The EVF debate seems to depend on the photographer and the quality of the EVF. Although I would agree that a Viewfinder using a reflex mirror like in DSLR's is preferrable to an EVF.

And I agree with you Creationist on the point of the market being profit driven. But at the same time, it is also largely about what the consumer wants. Unfortunately, the average consumer is not a diehard photographer like those of us on these boards, they are people wanting a good cheap camera. They want high megapixels, big LCD screens and high zoom factors. Good glass? They don't know what it is. Viewfinders? DOesn't matter what type, they're overrated, use the LCD screen. Only the expensive SLR's seem designed for photographers. Everything else is meant to appeal to the average consumer with some money to burn. In my opinion, this is being shown by compact cameras being made with NO viewfinder at all. A horrible loss in my opinion, even the little windows in compacts are far better than using the LCD screen all the time.