Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 4, 2006, 11:32 PM   #1

Ok am an idiot. Can someone explain to me why prosumer camera (eg pana FZ30 needs an electronic view finder and why can't they do it like a reflex type that we cansee the real thing.

Sometime ago, DSLR cannot have life LCD display. But now Olympus 330 can do it but not others yet. Is it time that designerneed to come up with a reflex viewing in prosumer camera or is it a real technical constriant?

Thanks

creationist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2006, 6:36 PM   #2

I think it is because they often have such a large zoom factor. To make an optical viewfinder show that properly, it would probably need to have it's own zoom lens just for the viewfinder:blah:

And to be quite honest, I prefer the EVF over an Optical, especially if you need to use digizoom!
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 8:05 PM   #3

Strange that you prefer an EVF than seeing the real thing. And how often do one reallyuse digi zoom - it can't be crisp. Anyway to each his own. I find the EVF color is artificial and viewing is abbreviated during zooming.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 8:23 PM   #4

An EVF display will show the scene as it will appear in the final product. With optical VF, you have to take the shot and then review. When you have the time to do this, the difference is not so important.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 9:25 PM   #5

As you said, each to his own, however I will explain my reasoning a bit more.

The first point is the focus, I like to actually SEE what is in focus, with an optical viewfinder you can't. This would get easier with practice of course, but when I tried to focus on my dads Canon with an optical, I often focussed on the wrong object.

I also like how it adjusts the shot based on exposure, so I can see if it will give me an overexposed sky or underexposed ground for example.

I have yet to notice it being slow, although I haven't used an optical viewfinder much to compare. I haven't missed any shots due to it anyways.

I like being able to change settings without taking my eye from the viewfinder.

There are pros and cons of both, but I personally prefer the EVF.

creationist wrote:
Quote:
Strange that you prefer an EVF than seeing the real thing. And how often do one reallyuse digi zoom - it can't be crisp. Anyway to each his own. I find the EVF color is artificial and viewing is abbreviated during zooming.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 7:40 AM   #6

With the quality of EVF's improving all the time I think it's actually becoming less of a disadvantage to have one now, like morag2 said you can check your exposure and change settings more conveniently.

I can see that a optical viewfinder over an older EVF would be much better but as I said the technology is getting better all the time, increased speeds, better contrast and resolution etc. I have a S9500 and I find the quality excellent, I can't use my old Minolta Z2 now because I find the EVF poor in comparison.

However I would still like to see things with my own eyes!
mansell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 8:10 AM   #7

I really can't speak from both viewpoints here though. I have only VERY briefly worked with an optical viewfinder, and the only EVF I've used (and continue to use almost every day) is the one on my fairly new Kodak P850. So I have no gotten used to optical, nor have I used older EVF.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 8:47 AM   #8

I understand for eg. the pana FZ50, both the EVF and LCDcomsume the same 1.7W. So isn't it seeing thru the LCD for reviewing better than the small EVF
Old Sep 6, 2006, 8:57 AM   #9

creationist wrote:
Quote:
Ok am an idiot. Can someone explain to me why prosumer camera (eg pana FZ30 needs an electronic view finder and why can't they do it like a reflex type that we cansee the real thing.

Sometime ago, DSLR cannot have life LCD display. But now Olympus 330 can do it but not others yet. Is it time that designerneed to come up with a reflex viewing in prosumer camera or is it a real technical constriant?

Thanks

I had am FZ30 and hated the EVF. The adavantage to EVF is live preview and that is a nice feature, especially for a beginner so you can make adjustments before snapping a photo. The disadvantage is to an EVF isshutter lag and losing the ability to compose a second shot during continuous shooting. During consecutive shooting, you are shooting mostly blind as the camera is processing images while you are still shooting. As for why they don't put Optical on the Panasonic, I can't answer that. You would think they would want consumers to have the best of both worlds. The FZ30, like most digital PNS cameras has an LCD display, which could be used for live preview therfore eliminating the need for an EVF, which is kind of redundant. They could substitute an optical viewfinder although I'm not sure if there are any physical constraints in the camera designthat prvent them makeing it view through the lens. There are generally some physical size constraints that make optical viewfinders undesirebly small on PNS cameras, espcially the compact ones.

I live with an EVF on my Fuji F30 compact camera and though I live with it, it would be better if it had an optical. I chose my camera for its low light capabilites and decided toforgo the optical viewfinder.

My DSLR obviously has an optical viewfinder and it is much better looking at the actual subject throught the glass, than it is through an EVF. Plus, I can see what I'm shooting regardless of how many shots per second I take. On some DSLRs, like the OLympus 330 and Panasonic L1, they have the live preview feature on the LCD screens on the back of the camera. When you combine a large optical viewfinder with live preview on a seperate LCD, then you have what I feel is the bestof both worlds.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 11:45 PM   #10

Morag2 wrote:
Quote:
I think it is because they often have such a large zoom factor. To make an optical viewfinder show that properly, it would probably need to have it's own zoom lens just for the viewfinder:blah:

Hi,

You have problem understanding close up filter in your other thread. You also mentioned above that you have problem using optical view finder. In fact all DSLR uses optical view finder. So with due respect, I don't think above is the correct answer.

Any takers to explain?