Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 6, 2006, 7:05 AM   #1

I plan on buying a Pentax K100D very soon. I bought my lastcamera a few years ago from Buydig.com. I remember getting a really good price and they shipped it the very same day I placed the order. I received my camera in 2 days...very impressive. I don't remember if I paid for shipping, but if I did, I'm sure it wasn't much.

I have noticed that Buydig and Beach Camera (both places are the same company) have the K100D at an excellent price, so I will probably order from them again. Only now, their shipping is priced kind of strange. They advertize the camera as "Free Shipping", but that's only if your are willing to wait 8 - 10 business days to receive it! That's 2 full weeks. If you want it faster, they have other options, but they go up in price accordingly. 4-6 business days is $6.95, 2-3 business days is $16.95, and 1-2 business days is $26.95! :O They ship from NJ and I live in PA. On regular UPS ground, that's a 1 day ship zone. If I want my camera in 1-2 days, I will have to pay $26.95. Has anyone done business with them lately? Does it honestly take THAT long if you choose the "Free Shipping"? I know it seems like I'm nit-picking, but I'm very impatient. I'm like a little kid waiting on a new toy.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2006, 7:30 AM   #2
Administrator

Lots of our forum members have ordered from them and were surprised to see their cameras show up in a day or two. It will depend on where the product ships from.

Chances are, they're not shipping from NJ. They're probably just drop shipping from the closest distributor warehouse to you. So, it may come from someplace like Dallas or Atlanta.

Even the largest online dealers like buy.com and dell.com use this technique (they just act as a "middle man" to the big distributors).

The products are then drop shipped from a distributor with packing labels. etc. made to look like it's coming from the vendor you ordered from, with their systems integrated so you get order status, tracking numbers, etc.

Techdata and Ingram Micro are the distributors you see most electronics items shipped from more often. If you research addresses carefully, you can usually match them up to one of the larger distributor' warehouse locations. Dittto for returns (they usually go back to the distributor the item was shipped from, even though the company name you send them to is your vendor name).

This practice is referred to as "fullfillment", and it's the technique used by MOST internet vendors. That's why you usually see all of the vendors in the price search engines run out of a given product at the same time (because the distributors ran out). ;-)

Now, there are some exceptions. For example, Ritz/Wolf stock their own gear. Ditto for B&H and Adorama. But, I doubt that the orders you place with Beach are actually coming from Beach.

Now, they are a brick and mortar store. So, I guess there is a chance they stock some of their own stuff for online orders (although I'd be surprised if that's the case). Let us know where you order actually ships from if you get one from them.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 7:57 AM   #3

Yeah, I have seen that happen with Newegg. They are in CA but I've had items which I've ordered from them ship from a much closer location. The last camera I ordered from Buydig did actually ship from NJ. I'm not going to pay $26.95 to ship my camera from one state away, but I also don't want to end up waiting 2 weeks to get it. That would literally kill me. Maybe when it's time to order, I'll do the $6.95 and hope for the best.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 8:03 AM   #4

gadgetnut wrote:
Quote:
I plan on buying a Pentax K100D very soon. I bought my lastcamera a few years ago from Buydig.com. I remember getting a really good price and they shipped it the very same day I placed the order. I received my camera in 2 days...very impressive. I don't remember if I paid for shipping, but if I did, I'm sure it wasn't much.

I have noticed that Buydig and Beach Camera (both places are the same company) have the K100D at an excellent price, so I will probably order from them again. Only now, their shipping is priced kind of strange. They advertize the camera as "Free Shipping", but that's only if your are willing to wait 8 - 10 business days to receive it! That's 2 full weeks. If you want it faster, they have other options, but they go up in price accordingly. 4-6 business days is $6.95, 2-3 business days is $16.95, and 1-2 business days is $26.95! :O They ship from NJ and I live in PA. On regular UPS ground, that's a 1 day ship zone. If I want my camera in 1-2 days, I will have to pay $26.95. Has anyone done business with them lately? Does it honestly take THAT long if you choose the "Free Shipping"? I know it seems like I'm nit-picking, but I'm very impatient. I'm like a little kid waiting on a new toy.
My stuff from them comes from Jersey, but I am in NY. You are in PA according to your profile and it should come from the same place.Obviously it should nottake 8-10 days; in fact I got my stuff quickly. With them it depends on when you order it and how fast they process the in-house order.

Despite my first experiance with them being a negative one, I orderedfrom them a second time and everything was fine. They had the best price on a Fuji F30.

My first experiance involved receiving an Panasonic FZ30 that I thought had a defect in the grip. They took it back willingly and exchanged, though I later realized that it was not defective. They assumed it was a defect andreplaced it with a obviously returned or demoed model thay tried to pass off as new. It was so obovious, that it was actually an insult. After I complained, they willingly took it back and gave me the option of a full refund. I got them to even agree to refund my return espenses of the first and second unit, but they claimed that would be processed seperatly and they never credited me. I had to get Ameriacn Express involved and got my money back.

Despite my aggravation, I decided that they are still worth buying from and as I stated earlier, I bought from them again. Just a word of caution that you need to be careful of any of theseonline retailers as occasionaly they try to sell stuff as new that they have taken back, even though they claim they don't do that. Often, they sell stuff like that as demoed units, but the near-perfect stuff, they sometimes try to pass off to the unsuspecting consumer. My advice is look over anything you buy regardless of where you buy it, since most of them do it.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 8:32 AM   #5

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
My stuff from them comes from Jersey, but I am in NY. You are in PA according to your profile and it should come from the same place.Obviously it should nottake 8-10 days; in fact I got my stuff quickly.
Did you use the "Free Shipping" option? I would hate to do that and have them drag their feet in processing the order, or have Fed-Ex hold the item for a few days.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 8:38 AM   #6
Administrator

Techdata has a location in Swedesboro, NJ, and I wouldn't be surprised if Ingram has a NJ location, too. I don't have any current warehouse location lists, and I'm not sure which distributors stock Pentax.

Even Beach doesn't stock it, chances are, they'll have a distributor with a location relatively close to you that they drop ship from.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 9:09 AM   #7

gadgetnut wrote:
Quote:
meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
My stuff from them comes from Jersey, but I am in NY. You are in PA according to your profile and it should come from the same place.Obviously it should nottake 8-10 days; in fact I got my stuff quickly.
Did you use the "Free Shipping" option? I would hate to do that and have them drag their feet in processing the order, or have Fed-Ex hold the item for a few days.
Yes... free shipping. The extra shipping is only useful from far away places. Though Beach/Buydig are in Edsion NJ, both my orders shipped from KEASBEY, NJaccording to Fedex. I don't know if that is a distributer or their warehouse. The items were Panasonic and Fuji. You could call and ask them where it will be shipping from. I assume you might get a reasonable answer.

I forget whether it is faster to order by phone or through the web. I do know that by phone, you can at least confirm availabilty. That sometimes is an issue with them and other dealers that lead you to believe it is in stock on the website but not actually on-hand. Regardless of how much you pay for shipping, if it is not in stock, they can't ship. I have called in the past and they have been honest about availability.

The only delays I have experianced with them is when I had to get an exchange, I got caught up during passover when they literally close for almost a week.reopen and then close again.

Old Sep 6, 2006, 9:13 AM   #8

gadgetnut wrote:
Quote:

Oh... I have also found that their prices fluctuate, sometimes even daily.

Sometimes if you wait, the price sometimes goes up due to supply and demand and what the competion is doing. When I was deciding on the FZ30 it actually went up 50 dollars, but I waited a couple of weeks and it went back down.

Also check the price at both Buydig vs Beach.... sometimes they vary.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 9:21 AM   #9

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:

Sometimes if you wait, the price sometimes goes up due to supply and demand and what the competion is doing. When I was deciding on the FZ30 it actually went up 50 dollars, but I waited a couple of weeks and it went back down.

I have been watching the K100D on their sites for about a week now, and it's gone down $26 in that time. It was $625 for the kit early last week. It's now down to $599. I'll not be happy if it goes UP before I can order.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 10:43 AM   #10

gadgetnut wrote:
Quote:
meanstreak wrote:
Quote:

I have been watching the K100D on their sites for about a week now, and it's gone down $26 in that time. It was $625 for the kit early last week. It's now down to $599. I'll not be happy if it goes UP before I can order.
Just letting you know it does happen. When it happened to me it wasabout 40-50 dollars. I actually contacted them with a lower price at the time and they wouldn'tmatch it, but they offered to take a few dollars off. Another person that I contacted told me to wait days. It was a hint that the price was about to drop. Sometimes the price changeis only a few dollars. It is somewhat related to supply and demand and I imagine it also matters depending on what they paid for the inventory. That is why a lot of them drop ship through distributers so that they don't have to worry about buying high. When I was looking at the FZ30, the funny part is that the black was more many than the silver model simply because the silver was not a hot seller.

Whats's holding you back from buying it?