Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 19, 2003, 2:50 AM   #11
Boo

Quote:
I reckon this guy's the tops, we can all learn something here!
Thank you kindly, I wondered why I was getting site hits from here, so came looking. This guy's a girl however.

To add to the discussion about concert photography, regardless of the camera you eventually choose, permission is a significant factor in getting good live photos - for the average ticket holder, most venues and artists will tolerate small personal cameras for your own use, but if you intend publishing the photos in any way, as I do, or your camera has a 'pro' look, you will need to secure permission for photography if you don't want to run the risk of it being confiscated at the door. I think it's plain courteous to ask first anyway - I haven't been refused yet, most managers and/or promoters view my sites (which I invite them to do in advance) and are happy for the additional promotional value of my work (I always try and link back to the band's own site), so I nearly always find everyone to be very accomodating.

All of the photos on my site have been taken under the permission of either a press/photo pass or at the specific request of the band, which is usually the case with the smaller bands. I've reached the stage where I have enough of a catalogue and am known to enough managers and record labels that my reputation can easily be checked by anyone within a phone call or e-mail and it gets progressively easier the more people you establish contact with. And always invite them to see your work before it's publicly published as well and thank them for their indulgence.

So if I were to pass on one piece of non-camera advice, it would be to treat the performers with considerable respect - it will reap rewards long-term. I'm happy to take stage shots as long as I have the appropriate permission and I don't hinder any of the band or crew in their work and stick within any requests they make, but I NEVER take informal shots without asking first, that is a sure way to get a band off-side.

Sorry, I ended up waffling - but I've just done a big music festival and saw how badly some of the national press photographers treated the bands and then they were asking me how come I got permission to photograph from the stage and the reason why is illustrated above.
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2003, 3:47 AM   #12

Boo... no offence intended on the Gender, but in US everybody's quite neutral on this terminology and it swaps across genders - but thanks for letting us know and you get such good pics I hope you don't mind sharing your results and techniques a bit more! VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2003, 4:04 AM   #13
Boo

Absolutely no offence taken, it just amuses me however that people always think I'm a bloke - even more amusing when they meet me in person - I'm an unlikely looking middle-aged woman and watching people's faces when I introduce myself is a treat! I suspect that it may even work to my advantage on occasion, it's certainly never been a problem for me - I look kind of harmless and unthreatening, hence musos' girlfriends don't object to me etc. and these are all contributory factors when gaining a band's trust and co-operation.
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote