Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 29, 2003, 1:32 PM   #1

Default I love taking pictures at concerts

I go to so many Concerts a year and I don't have time to go get film developed and stuff...so...I am looking for a digital camera to fit me needs...

I love taking pictures, but I hate having to change film (and carry all that around with me) and worrying about whether my pictures will come out right, I just want a nice digital camera that I can carry around and that holds LOTS of pictures. On average at a concert I can take about 7 rolls of film.

I am looking for a digital camera so that then I don't have to worry about lighting problems, bad pictures, and carrying around more then that camera itself, and if I don't like a picture I can just get rid of it and not waste "film".

I want a camera that is about $300 or less and at least a 2mpixel (or greater) Ii would be nice to have a 3x optical zoom (optical is better right?) I want a lot of storage so that i can take pictures and not worry about running out of space. So memory that is already in the camera and then a slot for external memory, so I can take hundreds of pictures (if I so chose :P ) and I like to take video at some of the festivals I go to and of some of the artist and my friends before and after the show. (audio would be a great addition to the video if possible) as well as taking video in other settings. I would also like it if the camera didn't take forever to "boot" I want to be able to whip out my camera and take a picture when a shot is good...I don't want to have to wait for it to do somethnig before I can take a picture and then miss it...you know?

If you have any idea of a camera that would fit my needs I would be so happy! Any help you can give would be great Thank you!
jessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 29, 2003, 2:02 PM   #2

Default Re: I love taking pictures at concerts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessi
I am looking for a digital camera so that then I don't have to worry about lighting problems, bad pictures, and carrying around more then that camera itself, and if I don't like a picture I can just get rid of it and not waste "film".
You're in for a big surprise if you don't think you'll have lighting problems. Many cameras don't like low light, or will have high noise in low light (most digitals need a certain light level to focus http://www.howstuffworks.com/autofocus3.htm or you can get one that has manual focus).

You do have standard camera controls on most digitals like ISO, but with higher ISO comes more noise.

Also, longer zooms require a faster shutter speed to reduce the risk of camera shake, and at most venues it will be too dark.

There are some here who do concert photography with digitals, so see what they have to say.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2003, 4:43 PM   #3

Thanks any help I can get is more then welcome!
Old May 29, 2003, 7:07 PM   #4

Most of your requirements aren't really a problem. The only real problem you will have is battling with blurry photos. It's very difficult taking photos in dark places.

I can't advise you on which is the best camera to get for this. Someone else will know.
Grand Dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2003, 6:24 AM   #5

I know it is going to be hard in low lights, I had a feeling, but one can always hope right?
Old May 30, 2003, 11:48 AM   #6

I've done a fair amount of theatrical photography (all digital), and in the end, it's still photography, just without the film. So when you're looking for a digital camera so you don't waste film, look for all the same features you would want on an "analog" camera. All of the comments about light, noise, focus, etc., still apply.

The other thing to be aware of is that most film cameras come with a 50mm lens as the "reference" lens (in my experience), whereas most digitals come with a 35-38mm lens before you apply the zoom. So a 3x optical zoom on a digital might only be 90-105mm 35mm equivalent, rather than the 150mm you might expect if someone described a standard lens as "3x" in the film world. I've found that the 200mm (7-8x) on my Minolta 7i is "mostly" adequate for shots from the audience, whereas the 3x on my Canon S20 is not really adequate unless you're only after online views or 4x6 prints.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2003, 3:10 PM   #7

Thank you! That was really helpful, I think no matter waht I get I will still have some kinda "noise" I guess I should just look for a digital in the sense of a really good anolog, and I noticed will researching different cameras that the "3x" zoom doesn't come near my regular old camera that goes to I think 150mm...so now I am starting to look for anything of 3x or higher...

Thank you all!!

Anymore sudgestions out there?
Old May 30, 2003, 3:34 PM   #8

Hey I am still doing a lot of research and stuff, and I was looking at the Kodak DX4330 does anyone have anything to say about this camera, is it a good one, worth getting, etc.?
Old May 30, 2003, 3:49 PM   #9

Hi Jessi...

You might look for a C2100uz....

You can "push it" to shoot indoors if flash is prohibited.

You can sometimes find one here...or elsewhere on Ebay.

http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=73431637&ssPageName=L2

Good luck
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2003, 4:13 PM   #10

So you want to know how to do it with a S602???

I reckon this guy's the tops, we can all learn something here!

If you haven't got the features of the 602 in your cam, just translate all the tips as best you can.

http://www.boo-photos.co.uk/lowlight.html

VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote