Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 11, 2006, 8:09 AM   #1

OK, I'm totally embarrassed to even ask this question because it seems like this is basic, widely known information. I have no idea what EXIF is or how to access it. I see people posting shots and they will say something like, "the EXIF info is embedded." What does that mean and how do you view that information? Thanks foranswering. Maybe next, someone can help me tie my shoes. :?
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2006, 8:42 AM   #2

Google is your friend.....1st hit:
"EXIF stands for Exchangeable Image File Format, and is a standard for storing interchange information in image files, especially those using JPEG compression."

Most browsers have add-on software that will let you right click on an image & view the EXIF info. It ususally looks like this:

2006:08:13 16:35:48
70mm
105mm (in 35mm film)
1/125 sec, f/11
Mode: Manual
Metering: Multi-segment
Exp comp: +1/2
ISO: 100
White balance: Auto
Flash: Off
File size: 8,967KB
Image size: 3008 x 2000
Saturation: Normal
Sharpness: Normal
Contrast: Low
Konica Minolta 7D
Tamron 35-105/f2.8
Old Sep 11, 2006, 9:01 AM   #3

Kalypso wrote:
Quote:
...Most browsers have add-on software that will let you right click on an image & view the EXIF info.....
First of all, thanks for responding. See, this is why I think I'm so confused. I've tried right-clicking on photos (bothat work and on my home computer) and I do not see anything about EXIF. I use the standard Windows XP Internet Explorer on both PCs. I guess the "add-on" you mentioned isn't installed. How doyou get that program? Also, if I post a photo, how do I know ifthat information is "embedded" in the photo? Does it happen automatically or do I have to do something to put it there?
Old Sep 11, 2006, 9:23 AM   #4

Make your life easier and just install Opanda Exif Viewer, its free, you just right click a photo and select show exif , useful when you see a photo on the web and wonder how it was taken.

http://www.opanda.com/en/iexif/index.html

Some programs strip the exif information when they save it after post processing, so it would depend on the program you use, just try and save and see if the Exif viewer can find any info.

Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 9:39 AM   #5

Sintares wrote:
Quote:
Make your life easier and just install Opanda Exif Viewer, its free, you just right click a photo and select show exif , useful when you see a photo on the web and wonder how it was taken.

http://www.opanda.com/en/iexif/index.html

Some programs strip the exif information when they save it after post processing, so it would depend on the program you use, just try and save and see if the Exif viewer can find any info.
Thanks! I don't know if I can download that and install it here at work (darned corporate firewall), but I will definitely do it at home.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 9:51 AM   #6
Administrator

With Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer), you can see some basic information from the EXIF.

"Right Click" on a image file in Windows Explorer (browsing your local folders and images using "My Computer"), and select Property, Summary, Advanced.

It doesn't show you WB settings or some of the manufacturer specific info. But, it gives you some of the basic parameters.

A number of image editors will also show EXIF info.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote