Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 30, 2003, 10:32 PM   #1
SSD

Default Need flash help with my Fuji s602

Hi All!

I take pictures of animals at the local humane society to post at www.petfinder.com. When I use my 602, the built in flash is not enough to get some good pictures. This is especially if the kennels are dark or the animal is in the back of the kennel. I have a Canon 550EX flash that is compatible with my s602, this flash is very new to me and I know nothing about settings. Reading the manual has just confused me more.
Can anybody help me without being to technical ?
Thanks!!!!
I really appreciate any help!
SSD
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2003, 6:28 AM   #2

Hi, thought I'd posted a reply, but must have been in preview.

http://www.usa.canon.com/html/camera...ite/550ex.html

Don't have this flash, but do have the cam. Yours is a dedicated flash unit, but that's no good on a 602 as it doesn't have the features. So you have to choose 2 modes for the flash. Either AUTO where it fires the right amount of light according to its own measurement, or manual adjustable light output where you tell the flash what f stop, ASA etc - and it tells you how far you can shoot at each output setting.

I prefer all manual for external flash, as flashes can get exposure confused with available daylight. Unless you are deliberately using flash as fill in for daylight.

Set the flash to 200ASA and say f5.6. In AUTO mode it should give a distance range over which it will calculate the correct amount of light. In full manual, adjust the light power to the approximate shooting distance. If the flash has lense angle setting, adjust this for say 35mm- 50mm.

Use the 602 in full manual settings, make sure you have normal external flash mode set, not slow sync. Set the cam to external flash, 200ASA, and shutter to 1/100 to 1/200 (it doesn't affect exposure) and f stop to f5.6. Shooting into dark cages you may also have to AF on an object outside, at the same distance (1/2 shutter press) or switch to manual focus and focus with the magnifier. Once set, it should be right for most cages I'd have thought. The flash will have worked out the light output you need.

I always set my 602 to preview shot mode. This allows a rough check of flash exposure, using the histogram feature, before hitting OK to save to card, or dump and re shoot.

If you need more exposure, either reduce the f stop on the 602 to say f4 or f3.5. Alternatively, tell the flash your cam f stop is higher say f8 when it is still f5.6, or it's ASA speed is set slower (100-160), or if in full manual, increase the light output setting of the flash. I said the shutter can be really fast and exposure will always be determined by the flash power and cam f stop. However this can produce high contrast shots with less detail in shadows.

If you don't like the hard flash look and there is some daylight in the cages, BUT definitely not artificial light, then bring the shutter speed down to let more daylight through and reduce the flash power. You just need to find the settings that work for you. you could experiment with some white card at the back of an empty cage and check the white levels you get back on some test pics.

Although the 602's internal flash is widely condemned for serious work, I'd have thought at these short distances in Auto it might work OK, but you need to play with the flash power out compensation settings in the 602 menu. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2003, 8:16 AM   #3
SSD

Thank you so much!! I am going today to take pics and I will try it out. How do you set the 602 to preview shot mode?

SSD
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2003, 4:09 AM   #4

It's in the setup switch position 'image display'. Just make sure you remember to hit 'OK' to save the shot, or 'Back' to delete.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote