Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 1, 2003, 6:55 AM   #1

Default digital camera acts like 35mm SLR

I am planning to purchae a digital camera soon.

I am using a SLR camera (35mm) and quite happy with it. Looking at the technology catching up, I decided to upgrade my camera.

I used my friend's digital camera and I noticed there is a gap of 2 to 3 seconds after I snapped a photp. Once I clicked, the picture on the camera screen is no longer visible. After a few seconds, it is back to normal. I tried on a different digital camera, and it's seem to be normal.

Is there a digital camera where it acts like a 35mm SLR? When I snapped a photo, the picture on the screen save it quickly without any delay? :?:
umking is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2003, 9:23 AM   #2
lg

Yes, there are many digital cameras that closely approximate the instantaneous shutter release of a SLR film camera. Most of the Olympus and many other cameras can be set up to do that. Still, unless you are willing to pay thousands of dollars for a digital camera, the best you can hope for is perhaps a fraction of a second delay.

Turn off autofocus, and set your camera to single focus. If using flash, turn off redeye reduction. By half-pressing the shutter release button on most digital cameras, you lock in the focus and exposure settings, greatly reducing shutter lag. Then, when you are ready to take your picture, fully depress the shutter release to take the picture with only minimal shutter lag. If you have the feature that allows you to preview the picture instantly for a couple of seconds after taking it, you may find it helpful to turn this off if you want to take pictures rapidly in sequence (my camera allows up to about 2fps).

This method will greatly reduce, and in some cameras, appear to completely remove all shutter lag! Don't think this is the case, though... if you try to take repetitive pictures of, for example, catching a dog jumping to remove a treat from his master's hand, you will quickly find that there is still some shutter lag remaining. With practice, you can learn to live with it. Good luck, and I hope you enjoy your digital camera, whichever one you choose!
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2003, 3:22 AM   #3

You don't mention what SLR you are using. Reason I wonder is because I recently purchased the Canon 10d Digital SLR so that I can use my EF lenses that I previously owned for my film SLR. You may want to look into Digital SLR. No shutter lag here and great results.
Good luck!
Mike Haywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2003, 6:48 AM   #4

Better digitals have more internal memory in them so you can continue snapping while the memory card is being written to. Those same digitals also feature various "drive" features so you can take several pictures just by holding down the shutter button...if you don't chose the highest resolution/quality, you may never fill up the internal memory and be able to keep snapping until the memory card fills up or the batteries die.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2003, 7:49 AM   #5

Any good recommendation for digital camera? Non-SLR camera (I am looking for sharp picture...the most important criteria)...anybody?
umking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2003, 8:19 AM   #6
NHL

Have you look @ the D7hi or its cheaper D7i sibling (but you won't be able to shoot raw @ 3fps)?

They are close enough to a dSLR but with an EVF. Also in manual mode they are What You See Is What You Get (WYSIWYG) ie when you change the shutter speed or aperture, the viewfinder brighten or darken just as any stop-down mechanical SLR would! This take all the fuss out of manual metering and they even come with a real-time histogram. 8)

Also theses D7s come with a rare 28mm wide angle that readily accept standard filters... BTW the zoom ring is all mechanical just like any real SLR for speediness, and there's also a full manual focusing ring for overiding the camera's AF as well if you want to be in control instead of the other way around! :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2003, 3:18 PM   #7
lg

If you won't be making prints any larger than 8x10, enjoy a camera with the same "look and feel" of an SLR, and want a 10x optical zoom built in, consider the C2100. It's still available as a refurbished unit, and it takes extremely sharp and clear pictures.
Old Jun 2, 2003, 7:46 PM   #8

Ol' lg REALLY loves his Uzi... recommends it all the time

It's a great camera that takes wonderful pictures. My Canon Pro90 has the same wonderful Canon 10X stabilized lens plus a few more pixels in the sensor (2.6 vs 2.0).

Both of these cameras are out of production now, but still available. Good lenses are too expensive to be profitable in consumer cameras. The industry answer is "you can always crop your pictures in lieu of zooming..." The digicam industry has hooked the public on lots of megapixels with less expensive lenses.

I expect to see less expensive DSLRs as the alternative to high quality stabilized zoom lenses in digital cameras.

As digicams prices continue to drop, expect to see bigger and bigger sensors while lenses stay pretty much the same in consumer cameras. There's more margin that way.

There will never be another stabilized big zoom consumer camera. Pity.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2003, 7:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman
The digicam industry has hooked the public on lots of megapixels with less expensive lenses.
Still aren't up to the megapixel equivalent of 35mm film, which is 25megapixels for Kodachrome.

Quote:
There will never be another stabilized big zoom consumer camera. Pity.
Guess you never heard of the new Panasonic DMC-FZ1, a 12x IS camera. The downside is the Panasonic is more of a point&shoot camera with less manual controls than the Canon and Oly.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2003, 10:44 PM   #10
lg

Quote:
Ol' lg REALLY loves his Uzi... recommends it all the time
Well, he did ask! Wildman, can you recommend a camera that takes a sharper picture?