Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 16, 2006, 11:29 AM   #1

gotta an unsolicited email from something called leplayer

starts like this

"To Stevesforums.com

Now you can find Stevesforums.com videos at LePlayer.com video software tool.

We at LePlayer.com would like to take this opportunity to introduce you to
the next generation of Video Searching and Viewing on the Internet throught one
software portal. LePlayer allows a whole new way of finding Online Video content
and has a unique ability of viewing online video without actually having to
visit the site."

an goes on a fair bit more

as someone soured the board taking all contact details? as i cannot see a conection between the 2 as related parties

incase its naughty i think its sent from this ip

X-Originating-IP: [220.240.109.48]

hope its ok to post about this as i try keep spam mail down

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2006, 11:45 AM   #2
Administrator

Reanimator wrote:
Quote:
has someone soured the board taking all contact details?
That would be my guess. I haven't seen anything like this before directed to our members. But, it happens if someone allows their e-mail address to be visible. I've seen it reported by members of other forums before.

You may want to edit your profile so that your e-mail address isn't visible (and your e-mail address is currently visible).

We don't share this information with anyone. But, if you have your profile setup so that others can see it, anyone could get grab it.

So, if privacy is a concern, I'd uncheck the box that allows your e-mail address to be visible by others in your profile here (under the My Account Button). I can see that yours is currently visible to others.

Here is a direct link to edit it. You'll see the check box for allowing others to see your e-mail at the bottom of the page:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/m...edit_profile=1

But, it's probably already available in search engines now, and a common practice of spammers is to scour web sites using bots to grab e-mail addresses. So, if you want to cut down on spam, it's a good idea not to allow others to see your e-mail address when you setup a profile when joining forums.

I never allow my e-mail address to be visible to others when I join any forum. If someone wants to contact me, they can do it via Private Message (and most forums have that feature). Here, I'm setup so that I receive e-mail notification of new PMs (but, others can't see my e-mail address).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 1:06 PM   #3

thanks for that........i did update my profile the other day to keep my informed of when people reply to posts as i constantly forget to tick the check box......prob unticked the one about email without thinking......was more concerned for the forum as i thought maybe someone had hacked and got access

thats sorted now then :-)

thanks
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote