Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 1, 2003, 9:25 PM   #1

Default Is there a place with digicam ratings a la Consumer Reports?

I have read lots of reviews, tons of posts, and frankly, I am totally overwhelmed by all the info out there. Words are great for specifics, but when it comes to maximum information in minimum space, charts and graphs are the best. That's why I'm wondering if anyone has heard of a website or other place that has charts comparing the features of different cameras. I know there are plenty that let you compare the manufacturer's info, but what I'm talking about is the kind of thing that Consumer Reports does: a ranking based on an actual review of that feature. I can read reviews on five different camers specifically for image quality, and get things like "this one has blurred edges around the corners" and "this one has a bluish cast to the whites," but it is difficult for me to get a feel for overall quality. It would be nice if this site or another one had something that gave ratings like that. I would love to have something like that where I could pick out a handful of cameras from a large list and compare them, especially because something like Consumer Reports only compares about a dozen or fewer at a time. Does anyone know of a site like that?
nlsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 2, 2003, 5:45 AM   #2

At best, that is difficult to do since the "best" camera settings (esp. sharpness, contrast, saturation, JPEG compression) depend on personal taste and subject matter. In addition, not all cameras have the same range of those settings. Also which settings are "best" is somewhat subjective with lots of folks prefering to make those adjustments with their photo editor instead of letting the camera do them.

Having said all that, the closest I have seen is Imaging Resource's camera comparator (http://www.imaging-resource.com/CAMD...re_cameras.php) which will put test images from several different cameras side-by-side for you to do your own comparison.

Strange as it might seem, I'd suggest not paying a lot of attention to image quality. There are very few bad cameras out there - pick the camera on the basis of features that suit the way you want to use the camera, then take a look at the forums for that specific camera. If there is something wrong with the image quality, you will see lots of folks complaining. In fact, you will see a few people complaining even if there isn't really wrong. It is that kind of almost instant feed-back and the reviews here and other places that makes sure there aren't many really bad cameras.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2003, 11:26 PM   #3

Default Thanks, Bill

Thanks, Bill, for your excellent answer! I really like "Dave's Picks," because that's the kind of thing I need: I want to narrow it down to a handful of cameras that fit my requirements instead of 472! I appreciate your help.
Old Jun 6, 2003, 4:43 PM   #4

Default FYI if anyone else is interested...

To answer my own question, when http://www.dpreview.com does a review on the last page they have a little chart with ratings from 0 to 10 for various elements of the camera:

Construction
Features
Image quality
Lens / CCD combination
Ease of use
Value for money

The reviewer also sums up pros and cons and tells you if he/she recommends the camera.

I found as a newbie sorting through the mass of information, the Dave's picks list at http://www.imaging-resource.com helped me narrow down my list of cameras to look at, then I went to the review conclusions at http://www.dpreview.com, and then, when I was really interested in a camera, I read the whole review.

The http://www.dpreview.com reviews are superb and extremely, but the advantage of Steve's Digicams Reviews is that they exist for a lot more models.

FYI, I ended up choosing the Canon Powershot S400, because my three main factors were size, image quality, and price. I love the subcompact size, and this camera was compared to the G3 in quality of images. I wanted to go with an ultra-compact, but the technology for really great images in an ultra-compact just isn't there yet. Now I'm scanning the posts on http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/ for a cheap way to buy my S400.

Thanks Steve and everyone else for making this a great site!
Old Jun 6, 2003, 5:40 PM   #5

Consumer Reports does rate digicams. But what is wrong with this place? Because of Steve, I went with the G3.

If anyone hasn't said it lately: Thank you, Steve!

t-man
t-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2003, 6:09 PM   #6

What is this, praise DPReview day? This is the second message I've seen, in a different forum...does every forum have one of these messages? I 've found DPReview to be a joke. A couple of times I've written them pointing out serious errors in their reviews, and nothing was done...Steve always takes the time to talk to you if there's a problem.

As for rating cameras that way, I personally find these things useless...it's based on their opinion and bias, either positive or negative. I'd rather be shown just the facts and make my up own mind!
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote