Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 19, 2006, 5:29 AM   #1

I live in Northeastern PA and I like to shoot in the winter. It is not uncommon for me to go out and shoot pictures when it is on 0-10 degrees fahrenheit. I am looking into purchasing a DSLR and I was wondering if this will be too cold for it?
Contriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2006, 7:13 AM   #2

Yes you can do it. The problem is going to be battery drain. You'll want spare battery(s) kept warm on your person (inside your coat not in an outside pocket). Batteries will drain fairly rapidly in those temperatures. But the electronics and mechanics should not be affected by zero degree temperatures.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2006, 7:44 AM   #3

Awesome!
Old Sep 19, 2006, 8:53 AM   #4

Using a camera outside in winter is fine. At least I've not had any problems so far other than the fast battery drain already mentioned.

However comming in to the warm moist indoors from the cold outdoors can do damage to the camera.
It causes instant condensation on and in the camera/lens(es).

Solution is simple, just bag the camera in a large ziplock bag, and don't open till it has warmend up. This causes the condensation to form on the outside of the ziplock bag.
I've bagged my entire photo backpack in a tightly closed garbage bag after goinng out in -25c tempratures for a while.

There is one worse thing that could happen, bringing a cold camera indoors without bagging then taking it outside again. the condensation that formed then quickly freezes.
Frozen water expands and that can potentially do even more damage.

There are many threads on this topic, at it comes up each year. Try the search button above to find them :idea:

Here is one from last year searching for Cold Camera:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...ht=cold+camera

Another old thread from 2004 when I first went digital, the last entry in this thread has the responses I got back from Canon/Nikon/Fuji/ and George Lepp ent. on cold camera use. Most responses from the manfacturers were not very usfull.
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...ld+camera+lepp
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2006, 8:19 PM   #5

Thanks for the heads up Peter! I will have to remember this for when I go from outside to insidethe car with the heat blasting. Thats funny (but innovative) that you used a garbage bag to enclose everything