Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 2, 2003, 11:31 AM   #1

Default I did it.

Well, I stepped out there and bought a C740 for $345. Add a set of batteries and charger, and a 32K card plus shipping all came to $485. I bought it over the phone from Digital Liquidators. Now let me see if I can produce some nice pictures like I have seen on the net.
louageo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 2, 2003, 11:42 AM   #2

I hope you checked http://www.resellerratings.com (considering you still bought from that company you probably didn't...hope it works out for you)...here's a direct link to the Digital Liquidators page:

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2375.html

(To all) If you want to buy from a company online, check Reseller Ratings beforehand. Don't just review the camera you wish to buy, but also the company you want to buy it from!
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2003, 4:27 AM   #3

www.buydig.com (which is highly rated AND I have personally used twice) has it for $429 with FREE shipping. The charger and batteries you will recieve will probably not be of good quality. I bought a Rayovac 1 hour charger at Walmart for $29. You will want much larger than 32 Meg storage! If you can, CANCEL that order (probably not) and do some more shopping.

Good choice on the camera, by the way.
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2003, 8:36 AM   #4

If the price is too low to be true, then you should check out why it's so low. It also could be they sell grey-market imports...cameras they imported from Asia for cheap, because there is no warranty with them. If you go to Olympus with a warranty issue, they won't touch it...if you want it fixed they will bill you for it, and Oly has minimum repair charges.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2003, 10:19 AM   #5

The other way they will rip you off is by not including things which should be included. Like a battery charger and battery (if it takes a custom battery) Or the CF, or camera strap... anything is fair game.

One way they get you is that they try to get you to call them up (saying there is a problem with the order, for example. Or that the item is suddenly "out of stock".) Then they pressure you to buy the things which should have been included..... and they over price them as well. Once they've got you to buy those things you'll find that the price is gone up to higher than it would have been if you had just gone to the likes of B&H Photo in NY.

The old saying is that a sucker is born every minute. With the internet, it's much easier to connect the scum of the earth with the innocent/sucker. Be very wary of deals which are too good.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2003, 1:52 PM   #6

Default No problems thus far and it was shipped yesterday.

Erric, I do understand and hear what you are saying. I called today and got the tracking number. Something was shipped yesterday coming to me and left them around 8.30PM yesterday. Don't worry, I called my CC company to make certain that I did have purchasing insurance and they said I did and how to handle any difficulties that might arrise. I'll keep everyone posted as to my experiance and my follow-up. But thus far, no sigh of a prob.
louageo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2003, 6:51 PM   #7

I hope it turns out for the best. I was kinda amazed when I learned about some of the tricks places will pull. I wouldn't have thought of them myself... but I guess that is a reflection of my nature. Good luck, I await your final report.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2003, 10:04 PM   #8

My experience to date is that my Olympus C-730 performs better with Olympus charger and batteries. The off brands don't hold a charge for as long.
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2003, 8:19 AM   #9

The following article from PC World might be of interest:

http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article...,107855,00.asp

If that wraps, then try:

http://tinyurl.com/7hh6

---------

Hey "fporch" I used to live in COS! I really miss it and can't wait to go back! I have a silly question, but does "fporch" have any reference to "front porch" from Focus on the Family?
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote