Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 5, 2003, 10:22 PM   #11

Gee! i would. set in program mode just about all digital cameras are point and shoot including my 1Ds. i turn it on zoom, it autofocuses, i shoot, and its done.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2003, 10:56 PM   #12

They have point and shoot capability, but that doesn't make them point&shoot cameras.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2003, 11:28 PM   #13

thats all a matter of perspective. isn't it?
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2003, 6:26 AM   #14
NHL

P&S is a general term, may be rangefinder is more correct (ie one looks through one lens and the camera shoot with another). Whatever it's called it's a different type of camera than a SLR/semi SLR where the same lens is used for both!

The benefit being no parallax, and the effective use of filters/adapter especially polarizer where it's very difficult to judge with a rear LCD especially in bright sunshine! An EVF based camera like the D7/CP5700/F717 just makes it more attractive cost wise that's all, they are just the closest thing to an SLR that you can get this side of 1K! 8) Another side benefit of SLR is Through-The-Lens metering especially with flash (which the D7's can do wirelessly as well!). Look closely at lesser P&S/rangefinder and you'll notice a 3rd photocell! ops: The photographer see "one" thing, the lens sees "another", and then the exposure sensor meters a "third" item :lol: :lol: :lol: .

To the unitiated all cameras are just 5Mp, and it's fine for most people, but to the more demanding photographers they are probably asking for finer details. May be everyone should wonder what the P&S/rangefinder are metering behind thoses filter/adapters hey?

Oops I forgot, they are really not designed for it... you need to buy 3rd party extension tubes!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote