Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 2, 2003, 12:09 PM   #1

Default Oly-5050 or Minolta D7i?

I was leaning towards the Min, but the more I read about the Oly the more I like it, especially considering the pricing. What do you all think?
Doug39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 2, 2003, 12:52 PM   #2
NHL

... Well do you want a P/S or an SLR type? Do you want a wide angle or it doesn't matter? Personally I don't think you can go wrong with either... it's just a preference :P :P :P
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2003, 8:47 AM   #3

I'm used to P/S, but I wouldn't mind trying SLR. I've read that I can unscrew the existing lens from the Oly and use other lenses, so I could get wide-angle functionality that way, eh?
Old Jun 3, 2003, 10:48 AM   #4

no you do not unscrew the lens from the 5050. you have an adapter (additional cost) that allows you to place add on lenses to the fixed lens on the camera.

i just ordered a 5050 for my wife and daughter to share. i went for it to replace my nikonos V. this is due to the soon to be available underwater housing from Oly for it. that for me to use snorkeling.

take a good hard look at the 7Hi. bigger buffer different software and firmware that adds a little kick to it. the software/firmware upgrade for the 7i is about $80 to make it close to the 7Hi. additional capabilities are added.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2003, 12:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjms
the software/firmware upgrade for the 7i is about $80 to make it close to the 7Hi. additional capabilities are added.
I didn't know that, very interresting
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2003, 1:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjms
no you do not unscrew the lens from the 5050. you have an adapter (additional cost) that allows you to place add on lenses to the fixed lens on the camera.
To expand on this, the lens on most digital cameras are a permanent fixture. Although someone will point out an exception, the only cameras where you can remove the lens are dSLRs (Digital SLRs).

With many digital cameras, to attach special lenses and filters you need what's called a filter tube adapter...one end is made to screw into the camera body and go over the lens, while the other end accepts the filter. Lower end and more basic digitals don't allow for this.

To add more functionality like wider angle capability you need special lenses called converters (available for wide-angle, tele, macro, etc.). Not all converters are compatible with all cameras.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2003, 8:52 AM   #7

Well, is there a magnification adapter that will let me boost the optical zoom on a 5050 to match or even surpass that of the Minolta D7i? I'm actually more interested in zoom/telephoto than I am wide angle, though I'd like to do both.

Where is a list of options available for enhancing the 5050 (along with prices)? I don't want to end up paying more for a 5050 + extras than a simple D7i w/out extras...I might as well just get the D7i in that case. (The H7i would be great, but is that still $200 more than the D7i? Or is the difference down to just $80 by now?)
Old Jun 5, 2003, 10:06 AM   #8

Just like cars, the skys the limit for accessories you can add to a camera, and there's no one place where they list all the accessories available. This page covers some Oly accessories for Oly cameras in general http://www.cliffshade.com/dpfwiw/c-2...nses/index.htm

There was one site which showed a Sigma 5x teleconverter, but it's down...it was on a C-2100UZ which with it's 380mm zoom gave the camera a 1900mm telephoto (380x5).

Anyway, you should decide what features are most important to you...both the Oly and Minolta (I believe) can add accessory lenses.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2003, 10:22 AM   #9
NHL

There's a fundamental difference between the 5050 and the D7s that the buyer must decide. One is a P/S while the other is a semi SLR (ie with an EVF to save cost!).

You can add as many accessory as you like except that with one you can see through the adapter lens while the other through a separate viewfinder! One can of course use the rear LCD on both with the corresponding reflection... in bright sunlight (or when one needs it the most for that polarizer)!
All D7s also have a very neat WYSIWYG feature on manual with the help of a real-time histogram that works even @ night time without the need of a lightmeter (ie change the speed/aperture and the viewfinder reacts accordingly just like any mechanical SLR)

The D7Hi is only worth it if you value it's near dSLR raw capability: ie 5 raw frames @ 3 frame/s (and the AdobeRGB color space) :P
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2003, 8:03 PM   #10

NHL wrote:
<
There's a fundamental difference between the 5050 and the D7s that the buyer must decide. One is a P/S while the other is a semi SLR (ie with an EVF to save cost!).
>

From Steves Digicam dictionary:
" Point and Shoot - A term used for a simple, easy to use camera with a minimum of user controls. Generally the user turns the camera on, aims it at the subject and presses the shutter button. The camera does everything automatically."

I would hardly place the C5050 into this category.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote