Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 3, 2003, 2:24 PM   #11
lg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey
OH, so even if a card reader has the ability you should NOT write to it. Thats a good one thanks.
Let me qualify that statement: If you ever plan to use that card in an Olympus digital camera, that is absolutely correct. The card will function normally in the card reader, and may be written or read as you like, but if you do so, it may not be recognized in your Olympus camera. I have yet to repair one SmartMedia card, but if I do I'll post my remedy for it in the card reader forum.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2003, 9:23 AM   #12

Quote:

If you ever plan to use that card in an Olympus digital camera, that is absolutely correct
Yes and no. I have a D-520z. If I pull the pics off of the card, delete some and write the rest back, they're fine. However if I make any changes, rotate or rename them, I get a card error.

At that point, I can reformat the card IN THE CAMERA and it works again. YMMV

ysr...
ysr_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2003, 7:15 PM   #13
lg

ysr_racer, deleting pictures doesn't write back to the card. Leaving pictures unchanged on the card doesn't write back to the card. I'd be interested to know what writing you did to the card that didn't result in a card error. I stand by my affirmation of Honey's statement, that "...you should NOT write to it..." The advice I infer you are giving here is not wise, IMHO.
Old Jun 8, 2003, 8:31 PM   #14

lg, I just conducted a test.

1 I formatted the card in the camera.
2 I took 3 pictures.
3 I then removed the card and placed it in my card reader.
4 I downloaded all 3 pictures. I then deleted the pictures from the card (still in my card reader).
5 I placed the card back in my camera and verified that all 3 pictures were gone.
6 I put the card back in the reader and copied all 3 pics from my PC back to the card.
7 I put the card back in the camera.
8 I was able to see all 3 pictures with out any problems.
9 YMMV
ysr_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2003, 12:21 PM   #15
lg

I'm glad your test was successful. I have had to do the same thing in an emergency, writing data back to the card in the same format as they were originally taken. If you manipulate the images on the card, format the card using a card reader that does not support the smprep utility, or even move (not copy) the pictures from the card, you can unknowingly render the card unuseable in an Olympus camera. If you have the know-how to restore the card should it become damaged or can afford to do without the card, then proceed at your own risk. If you are a novice like Honey, then you'd be well advised to leave well enough alone!
Old Jun 10, 2003, 12:04 AM   #16

Just to add the other side of this conversation, there was a message here about someone who erased the images from their smartmedia card in a Dazzle 8-in-1 reader, and when they put the card back in their camera the card is unrecognized.

If you want to read the message, http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=10751
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2003, 4:52 AM   #17

Quote:
ysr_racer, deleting pictures doesn't write back to the card
Actually, when you DELETE a pic off a card in a reader, it DOES write back to the card. The file entry on the card is deleted.

Safest way is always COPY off card in reader and DELETE/REFORMAT/ERASE in camera. However, fortunately I don't have an Oly, so I delete all pics off my cards in a Dazzle 6 in1 reader and they still work ok in my Fuji.

If I had a genuine Oly card with a working pano, I'd only use reformat with CF/SMprep.exe as a last resort (and accept loss of pano until doctored). Erasing any file on DOS format would not normally cause a problem. But problems arise when certain cam manufacturers products look for specific data or format structure on cards.

However, the question to put to the Oly people is why when they know they use a proprietary card format, can't they provide a re-format repair programme in the camera or via their utility disc?? Me thinks they want to sell expensive own branded media!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2003, 11:35 AM   #18

Well, I got my pictures back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!1
Old Jun 10, 2003, 12:38 PM   #19

That's the important thing. This happens from time to time, so it's important to get the pictures off the card as soon as possible, especially if those pictures are important to you.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote