Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 2, 2003, 1:36 PM   #1

Default I lost my pics can you tell me what happened?&more quest

Okay, I was reading the manual and trying out the new features on my camera when the low batterey light came on. Well, I tried to force it to stay on b/c I was trying to get used to the features, and then all of a sudden it shut down and then when I turned it back on I got a message that said memory card error no image.

Is this b/c the battery was low, bad card, or what? Thankfully I only lost 2 important pics.
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 2, 2003, 2:12 PM   #2

When the low battery warning light comes on, CHANGE THE BATTERY! Digital cameras are high energy devices and require a lot of current (even without the flash). Memory cards require 3.3v to operate. If you have a camera with operates with less than that voltage to begin with (i.e. 2AA nimhs which equals 2.4v), the voltage is actually increased in the camera for it to work...when the batteries are too low this can't work, and if you access the card you can get a corrupt picture or even lose the whole card.

It's not like a gas guage on a car when it hits empty you got a few more gallons of gas in reserve...it's more like when the OIL idiot light comes on which means, "stop the car now or you will kill it!"

Don't risk getting that one last picture in when the low battery light comes on.

BTW, you can try using the program DIR, Digital Image Recovery, to get the important pictures back. The pictures may still be on the card, just the current directory that's corrupt (if you have since reused the card the chances are lower of getting the pictures back).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2003, 4:22 PM   #3

I thought so. Thank you. So do I download this Digital Image Recovery somewhere. Something told me to leave the card alone. I'm glad I listened. Oh and don't worry, I didn't do that again.
Old Jun 2, 2003, 4:47 PM   #4

Send me an email and I will email you a recovery program for the media card.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2003, 5:11 PM   #5

So what would you all say are some good do's and don'ts tips of having a camera? YOu know the hard lessons you had to learn and not the ones that are obvious like, don't submerge it into water!

Oh, and is it true, I remember reading it but I don't remember the exact details that you shouldn't save an image after editing it b/c you lose some of the image b/c of compression. OR is it if you open and close it all of the time you lose some of the image due to compression.
Old Jun 2, 2003, 6:09 PM   #6

I wasted $30 on Lexars' Image Rescue after my daughters' Canon A40 corrupted the CF card ( probably a weak alkaline battery issue ).

The JPG format this camera uses puts the following hex string at the beginning of each file: FF D8 FF E1

Using that info with WinHex, I was able to recover most of the pics on that Lexar 256 meg card. Of course it took about 3 hours to go through the entire card.

Make sure your batteries are up to the task before beginning!
APhool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2003, 6:25 PM   #7

You can get the earlier version of DIR for free...there's a later version under a different name that isn't free.

Here's a page of tips for recovering pics from a card:
http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/restori...s-article.html
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2003, 11:12 PM   #8
lg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey
So what would you all say are some good do's and don'ts tips of having a camera? YOu know the hard lessons you had to learn and not the ones that are obvious like, don't submerge it into water!
Honey, here are just a few from my experience to get your started;

1. When your low battery indicator comes on, CHANGE THE BATTERIES! (already recommended).
2. Always carry a couple of spare sets of batteries-- digicams are high drain devices, and you wouldn't want to be caught w/o power!
3. NEVER, EVER, write to your card in a card reader! Even rotating a picture 90 degrees and saving it can change the format of your card, rendering it unuseable in your camera! While I haven't had any problems transfering pics and then deleting them from the card using XP, I have also lost not one, but two cards by consciously writing to the card in the reader.
4. Carry more memory cards with you than you think you will ever need in a day.
5. Attach the lens cover to either your camera body or the lens strap, and cover the lens when not in use to protect it.
6. If you haven't used your batteries for a couple of weeks, it's a good idea to "top them off" in the charger before using. NiMh's can lose quite a bit of their charge sitting idle for 30 days or so.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2003, 12:25 PM   #9

OH, so even if a card reader has the ability you should NOT write to it. Thats a good one thanks.
Old Jun 3, 2003, 2:50 PM   #10

Mike_PEAT said:

"When the low battery warning light comes on, CHANGE THE BATTERY! Digital cameras are high energy devices and require a lot of current (even without the flash). Memory cards require 3.3v to operate. If you have a camera with operates with less than that voltage to begin with (i.e. 2AA nimhs which equals 2.4v), the voltage is actually increased in the camera for it to work...when the batteries are too low this can't work, and if you access the card you can get a corrupt picture or even lose the whole card. "

but don't you have this problem when there are no batteries in the camera?

thanks
Steve
Colt-45 is offline   Reply With Quote