Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 2, 2003, 4:02 PM   #1

Default Help Me Find My Next Camera

I am looking for a digital camera to grow with. I take quite a few photos of my young daughter, both inside and outside. I currently use the Kodak DC 3400 and love its simplicity. I am ready to spend $450-650 on a new model. I like simple controls - but I want sophisticated photo quality. Please help.
kciesla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 2, 2003, 4:23 PM   #2

Oh, that sounds interesting. I can't wait to see what you get. I read somewhere on here, that some folks like Fuji's. They are simple but produce great pics.
Old Jun 2, 2003, 4:46 PM   #3

you will receive recommendations based upon people's experiences with their cameras. The Olympus C5050 would be a versatile indoor and outdoor camera. Here are my reasons for recommending this camera:

F1.8 lens with all glass optics (very good for low light photos)
3X optical zoom
Accepts Compact Flash, Smart Media, Xd picture card, microdrive memory modules
moveable lcd panel - lots of help with awkard shots
photo assist lamp for low light shooting.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2003, 11:29 PM   #4
lg

kciesla, you pose a loaded question out there to each of us who love our cameras! It would be best if you gave us a little more info on exactly what you like and would like to improve on in your current camera. Some good questions we might ask are:

1. Would you like a camera with a wider angle lens? Are you able to get everything in the picture that you currently want to?
2. Do you want a longer optical zoom on your camera? Do you want to take pictures from far away and enlarge them in your viewfinder larger than you are able to now?
3. Do you need a faster lens? Are there times when it's getting dark that you can't get sharp, clear pictures with your camera? Are the action pictures blurred slightly when lighting is poor?
4. Do you want or need the capacity to add an external flash? Is the flash sufficient on your camera? (the answer to the second question is NO.)
5. Exactly what do you mean by "sophisticated photo quality?" What would you like to see in your photos that you can't currently? Are the pictures not sharp enough? Is the exposure too dark or light? Do you lack the ability to better control the lighting in your photos? Would you like the color to be more saturated and vivid? Do you need to make pictures larger than 8x10? Do you need the ability to take pictures in little or no lighting?

While I'd highly recommend my camera for long telephoto shots, there's lots of other cameras more suited for wide angle shots. I couldn't use mine for making large prints, either. Point us in the right direction by answering a few of the above questions, and we'll be glad to give you answers more tailored to your individual wants and needs rather than in response to our personal preferences.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2003, 12:31 AM   #5

The question that seems most urgent for giving digicam suggestions is how large do you want your prints to be? If you only plan on printing 8x10s or smaller with little to no cropping for the 8x10 prints, then you may want to get a good 3mp camera and have leftover money for things such as extra storage and batteries.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2003, 4:32 PM   #6

Default Help! Abundance of choices!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardvark50
The question that seems most urgent for giving digicam suggestions is how large do you want your prints to be? If you only plan on printing 8x10s or smaller with little to no cropping for the 8x10 prints, then you may want to get a good 3mp camera and have leftover money for things such as extra storage and batteries.
Hi. Some good advice here. Thanks. Mind if I hitch a ride?

I've also been researching a digicam (first one) for nearly half a year, now. I don't PLAN on larger than 8x10 prints, say, but I can see myself cropping and enlarging to that size. A lot of my stuff will remain on-line. So as far as that goes, I'm leaning on a 5mp. The question is, which one? I was going to decide between the Fuji s602 and the Oly C5050 until the end of last week but with the activity of the last few days, there's no shortage of enticing 4 & 5mp cameras: the CoolPix 5400 or 5000, Fuji's s602Z or F700, Oly C-750 or C5050, Canon G5 and the just announced Konica KD-510Z! The constraint is that I will only be able to buy 1 camera for the foreseeable future.

I'll be documenting family outings (photojournal style) lots of landscape and cityscape, architecture as macros of objects, some portraiture (w/ very basic lighting kit). I'd like to be able to get as wide as 18mm equivalent, since I like sweeping panoramas, but I can live with 28mm. From experience, I do need the fastest lens I can get -- since I customarily like catching everyday activity as if it were sport.

The new Nikon is very appealing and may just be the entry model for us, with its manual overrides and shootings modes for my better half, glass lens and slightly longer (than the C5050) lens. However, I know from fond memories and being frustrated with my wife's viewfinder that I'd really take advantage of the C-750's long tele. I handled the Fuji s602 and I'd go for it for almost every ergonomic reason except its bottom line resolution (the F700 samples look very nice, but I don't know how croppable its images will be. Equally appealing are the samples published today from the Konica KD-510Z -- but both it and the F700 are compacts and I like a camera I can get steady hold of (big clumsy mitts ). Then there's the G5. I've seen how the G3 gets noisy at higher ISO values and that kind of bothers me. As a matter of fact, the chromatic abberations and brightness in the DSC-V1 samples kind of turned me off.

I'll probably get told that I'm way too picky. You're probably right! But years of still film photography and film editing, together with manipulating images and designs pixel by pixel has left me sensitive to nuance. I really look forward to any help in getting down off this limb of the decision tree I've climbed up to.

Best Regards,

David
davidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2003, 7:32 PM   #7

Thanks for the responses - lg has really made me do some homework, so here goes . . .

1. A wide(r) angle lens would be nice, but not necessary.
2. Zoom - 3x minimum - a camera I could add lenses to would also do the trick. My Mother has an Olympus with a 10x zoom and has trouble (sometimes) with sharpness - we attribute it to the camera being less forgiving with respect to slight movements when taking photos.
3. My primary photographic study is my 14 month old - so a fast lens is of significant importance.
4. I have no need for an external flash.
5. I want "sophisticated Photo Quality" - by this I mean I would like vivid, sharp photos. My Kodak 3400 takes very good pictures, but I want great pictures. I do print them, and I would like to be able to print photos larger than 8 x 10. Also - I will take both inside and outside pictures, so I do need/want the ability to take photos in little and no lighting.

By reading everyone's suggestions and studying the reviews, I am very interested in the Oly c5050.

Thanks again - I look forward to continued input into my search.
kciesla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2003, 12:11 AM   #8
lg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kciesla
Thanks for the responses - lg has really made me do some homework, so here goes . . .
1. A wide(r) angle lens would be nice, but not necessary.
The Dimage 7 comes standard with a 28mm lens - not very common on digital cameras-- to duplicate this on my camera I have to add a .8x wide angle converter.
Quote:
2. Zoom - 3x minimum - a camera I could add lenses to would also do the trick. My Mother has an Olympus with a 10x zoom and has trouble (sometimes) with sharpness - we attribute it to the camera being less forgiving with respect to slight movements when taking photos.
If you choose a camera with a stabilized lens, you should be able to take sharp pics even at full zoom. There aren't many to choose from-- the only ones I know of are the Olympus C-2100 and E-100RS, the Canon Pro90IS, and the new Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1
Quote:
3. My primary photographic study is my 14 month old - so a fast lens is of significant importance.
Unless you prefer natural lighting, most flashes should stop the action of your toddler as long as you stay in the flash range. An F2.8 lens should be sufficient, unless you are shooting in extremely low lighting conditions.
Quote:
4. I have no need for an external flash.
You may not now, but I'd keep my options open if I were you!
Quote:
5. I want "sophisticated Photo Quality" - by this I mean I would like vivid, sharp photos. My Kodak 3400 takes very good pictures, but I want great pictures.
By vivid, do you mean more saturation than is actually there? Or do you want true colors? Kodak cameras tend to slightly oversaturate the color a bit by default. This varies by manufacturer, but if you want control over this select a camera that has settings for saturation.
Quote:
I do print them, and I would like to be able to print photos larger than 8 x 10.
A 4 or 5MP camera will be needed for larger than 8x10-- a 3MP may do if not much larger.
Quote:
Also - I will take both inside and outside pictures, so I do need/want the ability to take photos in little and no lighting.
This goes back to the fast lens-- the F1.8 of the 5050 should be fine.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote