Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 3, 2003, 11:19 AM   #1

Default Do I want a better camera?

Currently use a point and shoot Canon s230, 3.2 MP. I use primarily as a hobbyist-floral photography, family pictures, and I do a fair amount of Photoshop editing, filtering, digital art, etc.

Printer is Canon S820, makes very nice 8 by 10's.

Question: As long as I don't crop too closely, and make extra-large blowups of my crops, do I really "need" a camera with more MP's and more features.?

Question 2: If I buy a "better Camera", should I spend the $$ to by a better printer, esp. one that will print larger prints, such as A3 or 14 X 17?

Question3: What MP should I look for?

Thanx, Mike
mmppines is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2003, 11:26 AM   #2

Depends on your abilities. Personally, I wouldn't be happy with a point and shoot, but then with my previous cameras I had to figure out shutter speed, F-stop, etc. all in my head, and I dislike the computer thinking for me and deciding what the best settings are (even though (from my perspective) the camera gets it wrong).

Check out http://www.photocourse.com where they have a free online "book" which covers the basics and more advanced features including manual features.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2003, 11:40 AM   #3

I'd suggest that you stay with your current camera until you feel youself outgrowing the restrictions that come with automatic models. Once you find yourself wishing you could tweak exposure controls and various other manual settings, then might be the time to upgrade. That's what I did, and leaving it until I really needed to upgrade meant that I got much more camera for my money when the time came.

In my humble opinion, higher pixel counts are over rated when you get above 3MP unless you specifically need to do very large prints. I have a 3MP camera and have never wanted for any higher than that, but then I never print any higher than A4.

Without looking it up to check, I think the price jump between an A4 and a good A3 printer is quite a lot so you'd really have to think about whether you would use it very often or not. It may be more sensible to stay with the printer you have (if it's good enough for you) and get the rarer large prints you want done from a proper developer.
Eddie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2003, 11:49 AM   #4

To answer some of your other Q's, do you want a larger printer? Larger printers are much more expensive because there isn't much of a market for them (compared to letter sized printers, 8.5x11").
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2003, 11:51 AM   #5

Where are you wanting to go? If you are happy at where you are at then stay there. Camera technology is being more refined each year. I want the ability to change to manual settings and make some decisions for myself. I would like to upgrade to a better camera but am waiting for an ultrazoom that comes with Image stablization, photo assist lamp and 5mp. The new crop of cameras this year do not come with the features. I am hoping the fall crop will produce my upgrade camera. I would advise to wait until October or November and see what it introduced.

Printers continue to get better. Going to the larger printer format and never using it's ability will be a waster of money. The new printer line should be introduced in the fall.

If you print in the larger format, a 5mp camera should be your starting point. 6mp cameras should be introduced in the fall also.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2003, 1:17 PM   #6

Gibson, I want the same thing. Hopefully it won't be a huge camera.
Old Jun 4, 2003, 1:31 PM   #7

Gibson...

I suspect the only way you'll get a high resolution, stabilized big zoom camera is to go DSLR. The digicam industry did make a few big zoom, stabilized lens cameras based on the Canon lens in the UZI, Oly 100 RS and Canon Pro90. These are all lower megapixel cameras and all are now out of production.

The expense of their lenses cut profit margin. The cost of these cameras bumped up against the bottom end of the DSLR market. Now that DSLRs are dropping in cost, these are becoming a real option.

I'm hanging on to my Pro90... my next camera will be a DSLR. Consumer cameras will continue to concentrate on more megapixels and compact size with less interest in glass.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2003, 1:52 PM   #8

Wildman

You may be right. I will give it a couple more years. It gives me hope that Panasonic introduced a IS camera this year.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2003, 2:44 PM   #9

I've been very pleased with my investment in an Epson 2200 printer. I print and sell very good 11x 14 prints from my Oly 730-UZ ,as well as panoramics (30X7 to fit ready-made frame). Quality of the chromium ink on the Epson paper is excellent.
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2003, 6:34 AM   #10

What's stabilization?

Is that some kind of anti-wobble technology? And if so, is it digital or physical?
Grand Dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote